This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Program closes abruptly when saving

edited February 2010 in Support
Hi, first post here. After much hair-tearing I've actually solved the problem that prompted me to register. But I thought it might be useful to describe the problem and solution in case anyone else encounters similar behaviour.

I've used the excellent CamStudio 2.0 for years. But, after a gap of a few weeks, I ran it yesterday and hit real trouble. After making a recording OK, as soon as I entered a file name CS vanished, with no messages.

I re-installed. I tried 2.5 instead. I wente back through several XP Pro System Restores to a week ago. Add/Remove would no longer uninstall CS so I removed every reference I could find to 'CamStudio' in the XP Pro registry and re-installed yet again. I ran sfc /scannow. I did a registry clean with Glary Utilities. No change at all.

But today I discovered the cause. It was a couple of obscurely corrupt AVI files in the folder I use for output. CamStudio would remain open until I browsed to that destination and then close. If the folder was already chosen, then CamStudio would of course close immediately the Save was initiated. By successively dividing that large file I homed in on the culprit files. After their deletion, all now seems OK.

BTW, one error message that appeared fleetingly on a couple of occasions was "vscap MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close." That means nothing to me, and I couldn't find any directly relevant google hits, but maybe someone here can shed light please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Comments

• Same problem here. Seems to only happen if I record my video with sound. I know WIndows Sounds Recorder has problems with systems that have > 2G physical memory. Is this the case here a well?
  • edited March 2010
    Just verified that if I run enough crap in the background to bring the available memory below 2GB I can record and save my video with sound so it's definitely related.
  • same problem here thanks