This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Edit .avi with Windows MovieMaker or Pinnacle Studio

edited March 2010 in Support
I want to edit .avi generated files by camstudio with a standard video editing software such as Windows Movie Maker or Pinnacle studio.
The .avi file recorded with camstudio displays as expected in the camstudio movie player or in Windows Media player or in VLC.
Whenever I want to EDIT this .avi file, this file is ALWAYS shown extremely blurred or distorted in Windows Movie Maker or Pinnacle Studio. I've tried all kinds of settings, nothing works.
This is on any PC on any Windows OS.
Exactly the same thing happens with any other Desktop-Recording tool:
- CAMSTUDIO, CAMTASIA, Adobe Captivate, Debug Video Capture, FreeScreenToVideo, AutoScreenRecorder...
Any .avi file produced by any of these programs is very blurred/fuzzy in Windows Movie Maker, Pinnacle Studio or Adobe.

Can someone tell me how to record with CAMSTUDIO so that I can edit the .avi with windows movie maker/Pinnacle Studio?
Thank you!

Comments

• Does this have to do with the size of the recorded area?
  • I've been doing screen captures of streaming videos using CamStudio usually using the CamStudio Codec. The capture area is about 5-1/2" by 6".

When I was first playing around with different codecs, some of the captures were really weird looking in Windows Movie Maker, but since I was just experimenting, I went ahead and made a few edits -- probably splicing a couple or clips together -- and created a WMV file. It was fine.

You might try bringing your file into WMM and saving is as a WMV file unedited and then bringing that file back into WMM and doing your edits.

Or you might try running the file through VirtualDub using the Direct Stream Copy. I continue to be amazed at the messes it can clean up!
  • Cmaurer,

If you mean the preview window looks fuzzy and blurred and distorted, that is because it is shrinking the video by brute force to fit inside of the viewing area, I believe. The resulting output video will not exhibit this level of distortion and blurriness.

Let me know if that proves to be true for your situation.

Terry Britton