This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

So... I have this powerful laptop...

edited May 2010 in Support
1. It has 6 GB RAM.
2. Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.
3. 1.60 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor (8 Logical Cores, turbos up to 2.8 GHz.)
4. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 (1 GB Dedicated Video Graphics.)

And I can't get a decent framerate on ANY codec except MPEG-4 Fast-mode or whatever it is. It can only go up to about 30 FPS though. It also has horrible quality. If I use h.264 (regardless of if it's ffmpeg or not... it starts out at 25 FPS, but quickly degrades to 10 FPS average over about 3 seconds, and stays there.)

On my oldish desktop that I had a beta version of Win7 on... (3.0 GHz Dual Core - Intel Core 2 Duo.) The Camstudio recorder could get up to 50 FPS on an HD codec (It had an nVidia GTS 250 in it, which also has 1 GB of VRAM.)

Yes, I have all my desktop glitz off, so it's not that problem. I would also be recording Perfect World at full screen, so it might slow down even more, even though the processor doesn't even get about 1.7 GHz when using the game.

Linux can obviously go up to 50 FPS easily, but Perfect World has had some troubles in WINE. Also, if you really want to see linux recording well, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA4qMdXb25U

This youtube video I just gave is an IBM t41 laptop (1.5 GB RAM, 1.60 SINGLE CORE Processor, and ATI Mobility FireGL 9000.)

It's output is about 30-50 FPS, but the recording FPS was 10-15 FPS.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Well, figured something out on CamStudio to make the framerate better... (this won't make the framerate better for most codecs though, only the Camstudio Lossless seemed to be affected by this.)

1. Set bit color depth to 16-bits (Windows 7 will probably restore this to 32-bit when you restart.)

2. DRASTIC Framerate Increase - Put resolution a step or two lower (IE: 1280 x 720 instead of 1600 x 900.)

3. Tell your video card to do "Best Performance" for 3D.

4. ALWAYS have Desktop Compositing Off!

This may shoot the framerate up to 100 FPS for normal desktop screencasting, but for 3D it'll still go down to 30 FPS or so (which is still a whole lot better than 5 FPS like before.)
  • The problem is, the more of your screen you record, the more data has to be processed into an AVI.

You have to remember, that CamStudio 2.0 was originally written in 2002, when the largest "common" screen res was probably 1280 x 1024, so I'm guessing the code's not optimized for capturing display resolutions that are significantly larger.

I've never needed to go about 20fps for anything and most of the time, 10-15fps works just fine.

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing you're trying to either capture gameplay or full screen video playing?

As I've said countless times before, this isn't what CamStudio was designed to do.

It's designed to record relatively 'light' activity on your desktop, like recording short tutorials etc. and even then, you shouldn't try to record the whole screen, just the area you need.

If you need to record high motion video or gameplay, there are far better applications out there to do it.
  • You mean like fraps? No way am I paying, etc.

I've tried many "alternatives" but they either limit recording time, put a watermark, limit resolution, etc.
  • @coldReactive

If can't/won't pay for an app, the only ones I know about are:

TAKSI: http://taksi.sourceforge.net (free - open source - not sure if audio is recorded)

WEGAME: http://www.wegame.com (free - closed source)

Other than that I dunno ...

Cheers

Nick :o)
  • edited August 2010
    coldReactive,

This was SWEET information to hear! It may have only worked using the Camstudio Lossless codec because that itself is so darn fast - but it really wasn't intended for high-motion content like games. Try the same approach using DivX or XviD instead and let me know whether it makes too-negative a hit on your results.

There are other improvements you can apply, like turning off all of Window's "enhancements" (on XP this is in the system properties/Advanced/Performance/Visual Effects dialogue) by turning all those off (shading, clear type, etc.) I like those, so I always turn them back on again after recording a project, but doing so does improve performance overall as well.

Terry

Quote:

"Well, figured something out on CamStudio to make the framerate better... (this won't make the framerate better for most codecs though, only the Camstudio Lossless seemed to be affected by this.)

1. Set bit color depth to 16-bits (Windows 7 will probably restore this to 32-bit when you restart.)

2. DRASTIC Framerate Increase - Put resolution a step or two lower (IE: 1280 x 720 instead of 1600 x 900.)

3. Tell your video card to do "Best Performance" for 3D.

4. ALWAYS have Desktop Compositing Off!

This may shoot the framerate up to 100 FPS for normal desktop screencasting, but for 3D it'll still go down to 30 FPS or so (which is still a whole lot better than 5 FPS like before.)"