This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Problem rendering swf in browser - pixelated, spotty, etc

edited August 2010 in Support
I have tried just about every recommended setting in the 2.0 and 2.6b versions of CamStudio, but have not been able to get an acceptable swf yet, and am very frustrated. Not sure what I can do differently, but would welcome any and all advice (and questions, if needed). Here is a screenshot of my swf: http://s906.photobucket.com/albums/ac265/luvcal/?action=view&current=swf_screenshot.jpg

Basically, as the pointer in the video moves, the screen renders in that choppy, sporadic format, and subsequently disappears as the mouse moves. I need to finish a demo for work asap. Help!!!! Thanks.

Comments

• luvcal,

Ewwwwwwwwwwww! Yuck!!!! That is truly gross! What on earth could be causing that?

What operating system/color-bit-setting/hardware-accelleration-setting/compression-settings/etc-settings are you using? That would help a bit.

Terry
  • Thanks for the quick response! Here are answers to your questions:
    OS settings: Windows XP, 32-bit color, 1920x1200 pixels (although I tried lower, as well), Hardware acceleration is set to full
    CamStudio settings:
    Video: CS Lossless Codec v1.5, SKFE=25, CFE=40, PR=25 (tried many different recommended settings, all with same result)
    Audio: Logitech USB mic, 22.05 kHz stereo 16-bit, Use MCI Recording checked

I am recording a full screen region, about 3 min worth, and the avi comes in at ~450 MB (!!), and the converted swf is around 17 MB. I get the distinct feeling I'm doing something dumb in my haste. Looking forward to any and all tips and suggestions!! Thanks again.
  • edited August 2010
    luvcal,

I'm not certain of the limits of SWF or the SWF converter, but you may be overwhelming the program with pixels. Full-screen at 1920X1200 is a fairly massive number of pixels to attempt to capture, let alone compress into a Flash video! For file size, if it doesn't become a detriment to the program's output, you may wish to lower your screen's colors to 16-bit from 32. (This article explains why: http://screencasttutorial.org/16/best-color-depth-16-bit-color-vs-32-bit-color-explained-135 )

I'd recommend you try doing some fixed regions in the HD formats of 960X720 or the rectangular 1280X720 (both treated as 720p at YouTube). I've lately decided to pull back even more to even smaller formats to accommodate the dial-up and slower computer users, with 856X480 dimensions having become my new standard (480p at YouTube). I get much smoother recordings with faster playback and recording frame rates as well. With auto-pan turned on, it makes it easy to move around a large resolution screen, though I usually merely resize all my windows and pull them into the recording space instead.

Although the new 1080p standard is attractive, one must keep in mind that a person requires a quad-core CPU running at at-least 1.6 gigahertz to even watch such a high-res video! (Single-core requires at least a 3.2 GHz CPU!) Even 720p (1280X720) pushes many computes to their limits, particularly the single-core ones.

Try this out, then. All your other settings seem excellent!

Terry