This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Videos won't show up in my C: drive

edited August 2010 in Support
So, I have been making videos using CS, and I find that when I go to save them, some of my videos appear with little lock symbols. They're there in the save window. But when I go to look for them in my C: drive, they're not there. How do I fix this?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    rm92,

My guess is that you have "Record to SWF" selected instead of "Record to AVI" (...which is what I assume you wanted.)

This is controlled by the farthest icon to the right - with the "SWF" symbol on it. Click this so that the words "Record to AVI" appear in text just beneath it and to the right.

When recording to SWF, it only creates a temporary and locked file (and perhaps a hidden one?) that is erased after the SWF conversion has been completed. (That is, in the "Record to SWF" mode, Camstudio actually records an AVI file first, and then automatically converts it after the recording is finished.)

If you want to record regular AVI's, change that setting there. Also, where the files end up depends upon the "Name of AVI" option in "Options==>Program Options".

Is that what you mean? Or were you trying to record SWF files, but now cannot find those?

Terry
  • Terry,

No, I am recording all videos to AVI. They wind up in C:\Program Files(x86)\CamStudio.
    But I do not see them there. For the record the computer I'm on uses Windows 7. Could that have something to do with it?
  • edited August 2010
    rm92,

When you say, "They wind up in C:\Program Files(x86)\CamStudio" - how exactly do they "wind up" there? I am assuming from your opening statements that you have the setting "Options==>Program Options==>Name of AVI" set to manually name the video (which also allows you to select the folder in which you save it).

Also, I'm gathering that you can see these files in the "save as" dialog, but when you get to the folder by other means, it isn't there, right? That would mean they became invisible in that folder view... though that doesn't sound like that could be the case, as "hidden" in Windows usually means universally hidden, right? But this is Windows 7 and, as I'm an XP user, there may be things about Windows 7 that I would never anticipate in a million years.

Have you tried creating a folder in My Documents/My Videos where you save them instead? They may be "allowed" by Windows 7 to be visible when put in there, but not be so allowed when placed in the "C:\Program Files(x86)\CamStudio" folder. I'm not certain what access restrictions are placed upon files that are in the Program Files' directories in Windows 7 (but I'd sure like to know!). This test may tell us a lot about such restrictions.

Terry
  • @rm92

The answer to missing videos on Vista/7 has been mentioned many times before.

If you're running CamStudio in XP Compatibility Mode in Vista or Windows 7 it saves the AVI files to a different location by default.

C:\Users\[Your Profile Name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Camstudio.

I don't know the folder location on Windows Vista/7 64-bit, possibly:

C:\Users\[Your Profile Name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files(x86)\Camstudio.

The AppData directory is normally hidden by default in Vista/7 so to make it visible, you go to:

Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > select the 'View' tab >

then check the "show hidden files and folders" radio button.
    Be careful, hidden files can't be moved/deleted by accident.

There's also a Compatibility Files button in the CamStudio folder in Program Files under the menu bar - click that and you should see the AVIs.

Or alternatively, in: Options > Program Options > Name of AVI

Change it to "Ask for file name" and save the AVI somewhere else ...

HTH

Cheers

Nick :o)
  • Nick,

Aha! I just KNEW there was another good reason not to leave my trusty XP Pro!

Terry
  • Terry,

I have tried your latest suggestion and it appears to have worked. I recorded a quick test video and saved it to My Videos, and it is now there when I look for it through other means.

Nick,
    I am not sure where the compatibility mode is, but I am sure that I am not running CS in it. I didn't know there was a compatible CS for WV/W7.
  • rm92,

Terrific news!

Most likely, this default behavior of saving videos to the program's folder should be changed. For one, backup software seldom backs up anything in there and for two, the file disappears!!! ;-)

Terry