This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Video and Audio incrementally desync.

edited November 2010 in Support
Okay, I know it has been covered over and over and over, but once again I am another troubled user with sync issues. When I record at around 800 x 400 and below I get no issues with the video and audio sync, but when I try to capture youtube hd at 1280 x 720 my audio lags my video by an additional second for every minute of recording.

I have tried all of the different setting described in various tutorials. I keep key frames matching playback rate and ensure that 'capture frames every' times playback rate equals a thousand. I have tried every codec that I've seen suggested from CamStudio's, to DivX, to ffdshow... I've used various compression settings for the audio and have selected "use mci recording" as well.

I don't think my hardware is the issue, but just in case here's my specs:
HP Desktop
2.6 GHz Pentium Dual-Core CPU
6 GB RAM
64-bit OS

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ (Graphics Card)

I've tried other screen capture software and have the same problem so there is something to do with my setup, but what?

Oh, I should also mention that when recording, no matter what my settings are, the "Actual Input Rate" fluctuates between 4 and 7 frames per second.

My thoughts are that it could be:

My monitor has some sort of setting or simply can't handle HD recording.

My graphics card has too many bells and whistles. (I only mention the last one because one web suggestion for this problem was to turn off 'graphic acceleration' in the windows display settings, but my graphics card disables that feature.)

I have been reading and watching tutorials since yesterday morning and there doesn't seem to be any conclusive solution, nor has anyone actually been able to pin down all of the factors that effect video audio sync. Instead, we all have been playing with things until it begins to work. I'm fine with that, but I need some ideas please :)

Comments

• First of all, to grab youtube (or any other video), use FlashGot plugin for FireFox http://flashgot.net/.

Second, the use of a good compression on-the-fly does put a significant load on your system. Video card make and model virtually doesn't play any significant role at all. Try to reduce compression quality. Keep in mind that camstudio codec is designed (?) to record mostly static images with very few changes between frames. It is likely that for video it will have bad performance.

I personally use 100 (100/10/100) or 200 (200/5/200) frames per second for video (I use auto adjust) and interleave audio every 100 frames. But as I said I use camstudio codec only, and don't record other videos.
  • Thanks for the tip on grabbing video from youtube, but I'm actually recording a screencast.

Second, tried reducing compression quality to no avail.

Third, I'm only trying to record at 10 to 50 fps and end up with an actual fps of 4 to 8.

My thoughts are that my hard drive is having trouble keeping up so am contemplating raiding a couple of 10k hard drives, but I don't want to drop the coin if I can find the solution here.

Also, why are there so many suggestions to disable video acceleration if your video card doesn't play any significant role?
  • Have you tried to use different codec, namely camstudio codec 1.5?
    I noticed that actual fps is always lower. If I set up 200 frames per second. I get somewhere from 30 to 40 fps on average for 1280x720 video size depending on zoom level. Right now, fps drops when zoomed in.
    I don't think it is a hard drive issue. What do you see in Task Manager? Do you have processor core fully loaded while recording?
    Also could you mention the build you are using?
    I don't know how video acceleration may be involved. In most cases all bells & whistles are for 3D rendering that is not used in CamStudio at all. There are only a few operations involved, including bit block transfer, which probably is hardware accelerated as well. I'm not sure if there can be any glitches about it. I guess unless you see some unusual video artifacts, don't change video acceleration level.
  • tjmbct,

You mention the observation, "Third, I'm only trying to record at 10 to 50 fps and end up with an actual fps of 4 to 8."

This is a dead giveaway that your processor is being taxed to the utmost by the application that is displaying your screencast. Is it "GotoWebinar" or some other?

The long and short of it is: It is leaving no processor time for the task of grabbing bits from your screen by CamStudio. That is, it is a processor resource hog. Only a faster processor or going quad-core will remedy this situation. But you CAN see some relief by lowering your screen resolution (in the Display Settings) forcing the screencast software to display into a smaller screen space, and thus allowing CamStudio to grab fewer pixels per frame.

Set your "Set Keyframes Every" setting fairly high to reduce how many full-frames are being pulled. The "Key Frame" is a complete capture, followed by this number of pulls taking only the pixels that have changed since the key frame was pulled.

Obviously, if your actual fps is winding up this low, a setting of "Capture Frames Every" as seldom as every 100 ms and a playback rate as low as 10 will still suffice. Your audio will likely stay in sync, too!

As to turning off Hardware Acceleration, I think that was primarily to solve an issue with layered flash playback (where people would only record a black screen). It also reduces the number of extra screen-writing tasks automatically (drop-shadows, transparent windows and the like). Better to turn them off manually in the System/Advanced/Performance section in XP, for instance, or via the compatibility settings in Vista/Win7.

Terry