This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

no output from laptop speakers after uninstalling CamStudio

lralra
edited March 2011 in Support
Hello,

I recently installed CamStudio 2.6 on my HP laptop running Windows XP SP3. I played around with it for a while and decided it wasn't for me, so I uninstalled it.

Now, whenever I reboot my laptop, no sound comes from my laptop speakers. If I go into the Device Manager, select Sound, video and game controllers, then the sound card (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio) and disable it and then re-enable it, sound again comes from my laptop speakers. But every time I reboot, I have to go through those same steps again to get sound to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what settings, registry entries (or whatever) that I need to reset so my sound works as it did before installing CamStudio?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Ira,

Until a more useful suggestion comes along, does re-installing CamStudio repair the issue?

Terry
  • Terry,

Thanks for your simple suggestion. I re-installed it, but I'm still seeing the same behavior (no audio unless disabling/enabling sound card). (I didn't run CamStudio, I just resinstalled it.)

I'm still open to suggestions...

Larry
  • edited March 2011
    Ira,

What is so strange about all of this is that CamStudio is basically a stand-alone program that merely uses libraries from the Microsoft C++ runtime implementation... this is the first time we've heard of uninstalling leading to this effect. (Search the forum or the web to verify that, however... I could be wrong). I'll email this along to the programmers to see if they can find how this could be happening. Meanwhile, since I'll be directing them to this post, please supply them with as much info as you can concerning your laptop make and model. Do you have any other sound-related software installed on that machine?

Sorry this inconvenience has cropped up. Frankly, I am hoping that it is only a coincidence and has nothing to do with CamStudio! But either way, perhaps someone knows a way to keep this behavior from reoccurring.

Also, please help us by indicating which of the three current beta releases you installed:

CamStudio_Setup_v2.6b_r294_(build_24Oct2010).exe 2010-10-27 4.5 MB 186,104 downloads
    CamStudio_Setup_v2.6b_r273_(build_05Oct2010).exe 2010-10-07 4.5 MB 11,506 downloads
    CamStudio_2.6b_r264_build_14july2010.exe 2010-07-24 2.9 MB 49,077 downloads

Basically, did you install r264, r273, or r294?

Also, one thing you might try is rolling back your driver (if it is possible) in the Device Settings section under the "Drivers" tab for the sound card. You can then use the "Update Driver" button again to reinstall the soundcard drivers. I myself would do this as a buffer against there having been any alterations to the driver files somewhere, somehow.

As a last resort, you could re-install the C++ runtime binaries and see if that helps.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

(The package is required but not included.)

I just noticed there is now a 2010 version of this package:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=A7B7A05E-6DE6-4D3A-A423-37BF0912DB84

Terry
  • Terry,

Thanks for your help. Sorry it took so long to reply, but here's the information you've requested:

The laptop is an HP nx6325, running XP Pro SP3. I don't have any other sound-related software on the machine (that I know of).

The version of CamStudio that I installed was the latest (r294).

I did try rolling back the driver and then updated the driver for the sound card, but I'm still seeing the same problem.

In "Add or Remove Programs", I notice that I have two entries for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 redistributable as well as a 2008 (x86 9.0.30729.17). Do you suggest I remove the 2008 and try the 2010 version?

Thanks again,

Larry
  • Ira,

You could try that, but I'd be surprised if it made a difference. Still, it is worth going down every avenue.

The CamStudio installer/un-installer is very, very simple and basic, and according to Jan (lead programmer) does not do anything that should cause this situation, so we're all stuck.

Jan included:
    "BTW, Install and unistall are done with InnoInstall.
    Maybe we have to look there but our install script is very simple."

From that I'm assuming he means no radical registry entries or alterations to existing settings, no replaced DLLs, etc. So, I might be willing to place some hope in your idea at this point that the version of the C++ libraries could have an effect! It is being researched at this end as well - nobody is saying that the installer/un-installer has nothing wrong with it at this point -- just that it seems unlikely.

Let me know!

Terry
  • Terry,

Again, I apologize for taking so long to respond... Anyway, I guess I wasn't accurate when I said that the uninstallation process was the problem. What I did was the following:

I installed CamStudio, played around with it a little bit, and found that my laptop couldn't "keep up" (slow replay rate and no audio). I decided to abandon use of it so I uninstalled it and rebooted. It was then that I noticed that I had no audio from my laptop speakers. I could have done something else before the reboot that caused the problem, but I didn't mess with any audio stuff directly.

So, could something have happened during my brief use of CamStudio that brought up this problem? I can still get audio to work when I reboot by disabling/enabling my sound card through the Device Manager, but it's a slightly cumbersome step that I'd like to avoid if possible.

Thanks,

Larry
  • Well, after fumbling around with updating drivers and rolling back drivers for my sound card (none of which fixed the problem), I stumbled into what was my problem. After opening the Volume Control window, I made sure that the Master Volume Mute was unchecked and the slider was near 100%. In the "Wave" column, I noticed that while Mute was unchecked, the slider somehow was at 0% (I don't remember touching this control). Anyway, when I slid it up to 100%, sound started coming from my speakers again!

So, I don't think CamStudio had anything to do with it, but somehow that slider got set to 0%. Incidentally, the old driver for my particular sound card (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio), produces a significantly louder maximum volume, so I left my old ("rolled back") driver installed.

Thanks for looking into this problem for me. I'm sorry if it was somehow just user error -- I don't think CamStudio was to blame for this one!

Larry
  • Ira,

Heh - That is great to hear - on all counts! :-)

Should you decide to give CamStudio another try, I'm generally always around (as are others) to help you get it working satisfactorily.

Take care!

Terry