This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

File wasn't rendered.

edited April 2011 in Support
Hello everyone!

First of all, thank you for taking some time to read my problem.

I use CamStudio 2.5, I guess I'm using a Portable version, I have this guy installed for like 2 years already and never had a problem, I run the application under WinXp.
2 days ago I was in the middle of a record (I have to record all I do in order to report to my boss) and suddenly the power light gone. This is very unusual so I don't have an UPS.
The thing is, and to summarize: The video didn't got rendered, I did recovered the temporary file and I got it saved, but still there is no way to reproduce it. I've investigated a lot with no results.
My question to the experts: There is anyway to recover the video?.

A million thanks in advance for your time and thank you for supporting this awesome application!.

Have a great weekend,
-Nicolas.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Nicolas,

I've heard of people recovering video content using VirtualDub, but I do NOT know how they did so. But do some searching for that info using these keywords:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=recover+video+virtualdub

Let me know if you hit paydirt!

Terry
  • Hello Terry,

First of all, thank you very much for your answer, and sorry for the tremendous delay of mine.

As soon as I read your answer (~24hs after you posted) I put in motion what was an incredible week of tries and fails.
    I've installed over 20 different programs and tried almost everything to get that video back. Though I've failed.
    After so much tries and not a single good result, I gave up and supposed that the index of the video was totally missing, so there is nothing that any kind of program can do.

Anyway, I've reported my boss and he will pay those 98 minutes anyway... so, thank you very VERY much for your guidance.
    There is no need to say it, but just in case: Anything you need, you can totally count with me =).

Have a great day and once again, thank you very much,
    -Nicolas.
  • Nicolas,

I am sorry you never did recover the video. You are probably correct that indexes never were written, but I am surprised that no software could convert the raw video data. (In fact, I thought VirtualDub had that ability. I guess it can save it raw, but not load broken/incomplete files.)

If you are needing to use video to keep tabs of your hours as a telecommuter or freelancer, I can recommend using http://oDesk.com for that. Their software takes "snapshots" of your screen at regular intervals to document your work time, and tracks your hours for you. I have two friends that use it, and they find it is completely unobtrusive and that their employers like it as well.

If you ever DO find a way to salvage the video, let us know!!!

Thank you so much for the update!

Terry
  • Nicolas, when you used VirtualDub to try to recover your file, did you set both audio and video to "Direct Stream Copy"? Audio defaults to Direct Stream Copy, but video does not.

Here's a link with more details of how I have been able to make usable files recorded with CamStudio that exceeded the AVI 2 GB size limit, using VirtualDub: http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/350/known-bugs-and-limitations-from-wikibooks-article#Item_18

I do realize that the circumstances are different -- my problem being a file too big and yours being a temporary file that you recovered -- but maybe something in that discussion will help. Just yesterday I had to use the technique to make usable a file that substantially exceeded the 2 GB limit (I'd had to be gone and had set the CamStudio timer to turn off at 15 minutes -- it worked flawlessly but as I suspected it might, the file was too big; however, running it though VirtualDub as described in the provided link made the file usable).

It may not work, but it might be worth a try.
  • booklover,

Thanks for adding that info!

Terry