This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Can't Get Sound on Brand New PC with Windows 7

edited April 2011 in Support
I have a brand new HP PC running Windows 7 and I've done virtually no special configuration. I've installed CamStudio 2.0 but it doesn't record the audio.

I want to capture the audio with the video (who wouldn't) and so I went to the options pull-down menu and changed the setting from "do not record audio" to "record audio from speakers" and I get this error: WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed. I've spent over an hour trying to fix this problem using solutions I've seen on the web but none of them work. I just thought you might like to know that the program doesn't work on my plain vanilla configuration.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't understand why the program, immediately after installation, automatically default to "do not record audio" (who wants video without audio?). Conceptually, I also don't understand why the two other menu options involve "speakers" and "microphone" because I just want it to record the audio that the computer is generating via the video (I think they call it "line in"?).

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Although both my XP and W7 machines produce that error message (both have Realtek audio), they both do record the audio anyway, using both 2.0 and 2.6b.

However, there is another solution. If you haven't yet read Terry's following response and watched his videos, that would be a good place to start: http://camstudio.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=624&page=1#Item_3

Further details about your machine would be helpful.
  • edited April 2011
    jelarv,

Thanks, booklover!

Also, for anyone just getting started with CamStudio, the video series I uploaded to YouTube should hold many answers. Even though it is primarily created on an XP machine, it includes the Windows 7 related video mentioned above along with 10 others!

Here is the link to the videos playlist:
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A57A11C0D77BBF9B

Also, not everyone wants to default to recording with a microphone (many only record videos that have a music soundtrack at YouTube), and very, very few people want to record the sound from a media player or game. So, it defaults to no sound -- kind of forces you to read the manual some, I guess! (heh...)

Since you clearly want to record media player output (I assume with high-motion), you'll want to download the Lagarith Lossless Codec or DivX or XviD. The videos in that play-list explain how to install codecs. CamStudio Lossless Codec is for slide-show, browser-screen or program-screen recordings, and works poorly with high-motion recordings.

You must watch your time and file-size - the AVI specification imposes a 2-gigabyte file size limit, and if you try to exceed that limit, CamStudio will crash and you'll lose your recording. So, test.

Also, set sound as MCI Recording for good sync, and use a setting of Capture Frames Every of 20 and a Playback rate of 50 (just to get you started), or you will drift out of sync. Those two MUST sum to 1000 when multiplied together.

The "Record from Speakers" option exploited an option that existed in Windows XP (the prevalent operating system until very recently) that ceased to be supported very well in Vista machines (depending upon model and chipset) and seemingly not at all now in Windows 7 (with the completely re-vamped audio system). My video booklover references details the workaround that I used when recording that very video.

Terry