This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Large size, low frame rate?

edited April 2011 in Support
Hi,

I tried CamStudio and was troubled about the size and frame rate of the recordings.

I first tried the MS Video 1 codec, and got an actual input rate of 8-9 fps. The size was 35 Mb per minute. (I had the quality at 70, during this and all the following attempts)

Then I tried Intel's codec and the frame rate was 6-7 fps, and size of 786 Mb per minute. And the video was full of vertical stripes...

Cinepak had a frame rate of 1-2 fps, but the size was only 12 Mb per minute.

The CamStudio's own lossless codec had a frame rate of 9-10 fps, and size of 24 Mb per minute. This is apparently the best one out of the ones I tried. Still, shouldn't a 10 minute video at only 10 fps have a smaller file size than 240 Mb?
Also, if I use the CamStudio codec and open the resulting video in vlc, it looks really glitchy, so I guess I need to tell it to use the right codec somehow, but I don't know how to do that...

Why is the frame rate so low? Is it possible to make it higher somehow? And is it possible to reduce the file size somehow?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered, I did try to search for it, but didn't find answers in the forums.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    supersal,

First, VLC Player has something wrong with it their programmers are trying to fix to make it work with the CamStudio Lossless Codec. This is due to the fact that VLC installs its codecs with the program, and does not use ones installed independently.

There are some videos in the "how to" playlist that discuss optimizing your machine for video.

This one in particular covers several things for XP:

The big things to consider:

Recording sound with your video raises the file size by a large amount. I do not recommend compressing the audio during recording, however, as I have noticed synchronization between audio and video suffer.

If you do not have the horsepower in your CPU, recording full-screen or HD 1270X720 will result in very low frame rates. You can TRY increasing the setting in Options==>Program Options==>Recording Thread Priority to Above Normal, but this will help most people only marginally.

Also watch user ColdReactive's tests (which start at 1:50):

The audio lags badly by the middle, but listen to what he is saying as he reads off the typical results.

Terry
  • edited April 2011
    supersal,

So, going by the above video, the fastest codecs have been CamStudio Lossless, XviD, Lagarith Lossless (though not as small a file size, exhibiting some improvement in higher priority settings) and MS-MPEG4.

FFDShow older versions have MS-MPEG4:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/software/download-1030_0_158_file_ffdshow_rev3572_20100913_clsid.exe.html
    Un-install any older versions first.

Thanks to ColdReactive for this.

Terry