This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Issue Using CamStudio with Xvid Codec

edited April 2011 in Support
After repeated failures using Lossless Codec v1.4 and the DivX codec, I attempted to use Xvid as my compressor.

The problem is that the video will play ridiculously fast, probably at more than 2x normal speed. The audio, however, will play at regular speed. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Vernichtung,

What settings are you using on the Video Options and XviD pages? I need to know that stuff.

This is definitely not normal behavior for XviD. It works well for lots of people. What kind of content are you recording?

Terry
  • edited April 2011
    My Video Options are as follows:
    Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
    Quality: 40
    Set Key Frames Every 30 frames
    Playback Rate 30 frames/second
    My frame-rate is set to auto adjust

These are my settings for Xvid Configuration:
    Profile @ Level: Xvid Home
    Encoding type: Single pass
    Target quantizer: 1.00
    Quality preset: General purpose

I first encountered the issue when recording StarCraft 2 Galaxy Editor (which may be using quite a bit of RAM), however the problem persisted during recording attempts while I was not running any applications whatsoever (except background applications).

I don't know if this helps at all, but my issue with the DivX 6.9.2 Codec and Lossless Codec v1.4 was that my recording would have audio, but no video (black screen).
  • edited April 2011
    Vernichtung,

Just to note: there is no actual "frame rate" auto adjust - that merely turns the slider on or off.
    Setting Key Frames to 30 is fine.

Set the others up this way:

Capture Frames Every 40 ms
    Playback Rate 25fps

(These two settings should sum, when multiplied together, to 1000 for good audio/video sync, so 50/20 or 100/10 or 10/100 or 20/50 or 25/40 also work)

Try a target quantizer of 4. Try a target bitrate of 882 or 1000.

I think that was your main problem there. You may have to use the built-in calculator and re-compress your previous videos using VirtualDub matching the exact length you are using (using full processing setting). Also, the forums seem to recommend using 2-pass as a general rule.

As to the black screen recordings... Are you setting to 32-bit color? CamStudio Lossless has the ability to record layered video - perhaps that what was causing the black screen - check the Options==>Program Options==>Capture Translucent/Layered Windows setting.

I'm not a big user of XviD, but these settings have been reported to work for others. Definitely use the 720 HD settings for HD YouTube videos.

There is a website that has a ton of info here:
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/xvid-guides.htm

And they have a forum also:
    http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Please, when you DO get this figured out - would you post here how you did it? It would be nice to have a comprehensive tutorial here for others to benefit from.

Terry

• edited April 2011
    Thanks Terry.

Unfortunately, the framerate and Xvid Configuration settings you suggested didn't really change much. The video will last under a second if played via DivX, and simply flashes green. When played in Windows Media Center or Media Player I will hear the audio, but like my recordings with Lossless, with no video.

As for the black screen recordings with Lossless, they persist whether the Capture Translucent/Layered Windows setting is enabled or disabled. It seems like no matter my combination of settings, the recording will not work.

Another site also suggested that a firewall may be blocking video recording somehow, so I completely disabled avast!, however there was no change.

I will do some more research, keep playing around with my settings, and keep you posted.

Update: The video will work if recorded as a .swf.
  • edited April 2011
    Vernichtung,

Wow! It works as a swf but not as an AVI???? That is truly strange!

Wait... You know, I seem to remember something like this happening with WinAmp 5 - so frustratingly that I un-installed that player entirely! Is that the player you are working with? Or does this happen with Windows Media Player also (or RealPlayer, another standby of mine now.) VLC also has problems with the Camstudio Lossless (they are fixing that), but not reportedly with the others. Do these upload to YouTube OK (that is, do the AVI's work when uploaded, not the .swfs)?

Have you installed codecs from the K-Lite Codec Pack, by any chance? That is a good collection. You can install using either the K-Lite Full or Mega Codec Packs.
    Full: http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_codec_pack_download.htm (be sure to select the "Full" one)
    Mega: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_mega_codec_pack.htmI

I have a video on that at YouTube - here it is:

This is part of a collection you might enjoy reviewing:

The most troubling part is that it works as a .swf file... this has to be a playback codec issue. I hope we get to the bottom of all of this!

Terry
  • Thanks a bunch Terry!

I followed your video, but included the Xvid Decoders when I chose what to install.

I can now record a .avi and play it back properly in DivX, Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic and on YouTube.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help, and the time you put into this.
  • Vernichtung,

Terrific!

Terry