This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Problems at compression and not saving

edited April 2011 in Support
Hi all, this piece of software has been a friend of mine for about 2 months now, and I love it. Last week I was recording a webinar I couldn't attend, and I unfortunately let it record almost 2 hours total. I'm using Camstudio 2.0 as I was unaware of the newer versions, and I had problems saving the file, and may have lost it.
About 45 minutes after the webinar was over I pressed stop, the window asked me where to save it, I saved it on the desktop as usual and typed "webinar TE 2011-04-19" and clicked enter. Camtasia responded with "improper destination" or something similar and that's the last I've seen of that recording.
I've scoured the internet and this forum about how to find the file and recover it with no avail yet. The software is set to save it to the windows temporary directory, but I don't see them in the C:/WUtemp folder, the C:/Windows/temp. or any of the Camstudio folders
I would really appreciate some assistance in finding and recovering the webinar as it is very important to me. And I mean this in all honesty that after searching this forum for a solution, there are some really nice people in this forum.
Saluce to you good people.

Thank you for any assistance, JIm

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Jimu,

It is the AVI specification's file size limit that imposes that restriction, and since even the most recent versions of CamStudio still save as AVI, the restriction remains with us. Going over 2 gigabytes will usually cause CamStudio to crash. It may have already pulled the video and audio files and deleted the temps, then crashed during the attempt to compile video and audio into the AVI container.

Can you find some "deleted file" recovery program and search those folders using that? In the old days, a deleted file still existed on the drive unless it got written over - deletion simply meant a 'flag' was changed in the master file record (like a table of contents) and the file name altered with an underscore replacing the first letter.

That was my knowledge back in the FAT32 days - I don't know how NTFS and its journal system performs deletions, but it is supposed to have the records written twice, if I remember correctly, to enable recovery in the event of damaged master sectors.

Anyway... so my speculation is that the process did get far enough to delete the files, but then crashed due to the oversize file that resulted. If you can find the raw video, you may be able to save it using VirtualDub.

Please let me know how you proceed, and whether you find the file, and especially whether you are able to recover it!

Terry
  • edited April 2011
    Jimu (and booklover),

By the way - are those temp files hidden ones? If they are, they may have to be made visible in the Tools==>Folder Options==>View tab, changing it to "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

Jimu - Read booklovers' post at the following link once you do find the temp files (well, if you do, of course.)
    http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/comment/1392#Comment_1392

Terry
  • I don't remember, Terry. I routinely run with nothing hidden.

Once I learned that when my hard drive was pretty full, that caused problems, and I then kept moving stuff off of it, even if the file was too big and had to be operated on in VirtualDub, I didn't have the problem of the file's seemingly not being written. It seems as if there was someone, though -- maybe Lowell General -- who did finally find the seemingly missing file.