This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

unable to "restore" windows in windows 7

edited April 2011 in Support
Hello.
I noticed that if I start up camstudio in windows 7, start it recording, minimize camstudio, at that point it is recording and I cannot "restore" or "unminimize" it to be able to hit the stop button. Might be worth looking into.
Cheers!
-r

Comments

• that's with 2.00, windows 7 64 bit
  • rogerdpack,

The program sits in the system tray when minimized - it can be restored from there.

Terry
  • Hmm.

The problem is that when you start recording in windows 7, the "green flashing corners" appear in the task bar, so when you minimize, it *appears* to the casual observer that it has minimized to the task bar. The system tray icon typically shows up as a hidden system tray icon, so it doesn't appear to minimize to the tray.

I see an options -> program options -> "minimize program on start recording" (which wasn't checked), which causes some confusion.

I'd suggest another program option "minimize to tray" and have it default to false, but that's just one way to clear up the confusion (and confusion it is, because a typical user will try to restore the window by clicking on the icon for the "green flashing corners" in the task bar, nothing happens, so they right click, select "cam studio" which opens up a new camstudio instance, with stop buttons that do nothing--it appears as if you cannot stop the recording).
    Cheers!
    -r
  • Roger, in my W7 Pro x64 I keep all my icons showing in the notification area, including the CamStudio one. So far I've had no problem popping it up from there to turn off or pause recording -- or just use those commands, as well as stop, from the notification area without popping it up.

Admittedly I record only a fixed screen area, so it may well be that I don't fully understand the problem.

Jo
  • Do you see a window that comes up when you record a region? (Title "Flashing") That's the one that causes confusion, since it tricks me (at least me) into thinking that camstudio hasn't minimized to the tray, but to the task bar.
    Cheers!
  • Normally I have CS set to show the green flashes so that I won't forget that I'm recording. But as to there being an icon named "Flashing" on the taskbar or in the notification area, not on my W7 machine. However, on my XP Pro machine, I do see that "Flashing" icon in the taskbar, as well as the white CamStudio icon (I'm using 2.6b now) in the notification area.

Since I record a fixed area, I normally leave the CS display up beside the area I intend to capture. To see if I could duplicate what you're seeing, however, I checked both the "hide flashing rectangle" and "minimize" options. I saw green marks at the corners of the area to be captured but they were not flashing, and the CamStudio display did minimize but I had no trouble bringing it back up. I did not see a "Flashing" icon on the taskbar as I do on the XP machine.

Jo
  • @booklover to reproduce you need to use camstudio's default of "minimize to tray" selected--then you'll have a task bar entry (representing the green) that doesn't actually unminimize, causing the confusion.
    Cheers!
  • rogerdpack,

Yes, I encountered that confusion just the other day. I'm never minimizing to tray again! (Heck, what do I have dual monitors for?!) Or at least, I won't without "Flashing" hidden.

But that was really throwing me - now I know what you were talking about!

Terry