This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

CS videos won't play on Windows Media Player as an avi.

edited May 2011 in Support
Hi everyone,

Okay, I've searched these forms and Google for a solution but haven't been able to find one. So here is my problem. I recorded a video using CamStuido and the CS player plays it fine. And then it saves under my default program which is Windows Media Player. Now the file saves as an AVI.

But for some reason or another. It won't play, I open it up and get the message "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help."

And the file just won't play. It works under my VLC media player and works fine when I convert it to a FLV. for my windows media player. But it just won't play under AVI. for some reason or another.

Now before when I first downloaded CS it worked fine, I recorded nearly and hour of my screen play and had no problems. The file worked fine under my WMP as an AVI.

But it just randomly started screwing up. I've downloaded CS beta... I've downloaded the Lossless Codec. I've tried using every single codec in video options. But still no luck.

I'd really REALLY like for this to be solved. You see my biggest problem is I need to edit and I use Windows Movie Maker to edit. But as you all may know, FLV. don't work in that. Only AVI. files do. Now I've figured away around it. ^^;;

I convert them to FLV.'s and then downloaded a converter to changed them into AVI. files... but its not exactly a fun process... its time consuming specially when you have a big file. >_<

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Needhelp101,

Keep in mind that some codecs require the capture window to be a size that is a multiple of 2. DivX requires a multiple of 4, I believe. Perhaps that is one issue.

What codec have you used besides Camstudio lossless? And what window region sizes?

Terry
  • Okay width is 1366 and height is 768. I usually do full screen. I have just been using camstudio lossless. I have all the default ones that come with the program when you first download it.

I don't really understand what you mean by a multiple of 2. And I have DivX... but a multiple of 4?

• edited May 2011
    needhelp101,

The width of the window you are capturing measured in pixels must be divisible by 4 in DivX, and the width must be divisible by 2 in Xvid and several other MP4 style codecs.

(From my post at http://screencasttutorial.org/02/optimizing-your-pc-for-camstudio-12 )

The height in pixels for most codecs must be divisible by 2.

Many require 24 or 32 bit color depth also.

If you are capturing full screen, you must be certain your display dimensions satisfy those rules. Many people experience failure with full-screen settings, so you are not alone. I recommend using a fixed region of either 960 x 720 or 1280 x 720. Uploads to YouTube work best with these, and will register as HD.

Set a fixed left corner of 0,0 - though you have wiggle-room there with your screen real estate.

Terry