This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

freezed the video play and makes choppy video

jmwjmw
edited May 2011 in Support
I installed cam-studio 2.0 and I think I installed the lossless codec1.4 but everytime I try to record I get freezes in the video, badly choppy. A couple of years ago I downloaded Camstudio and used it directly after installing (no codec installation and no modifations of the settings) and it worked perfectly - no choppy videos. Pretty muchly recorded just as it played, no skipped frames from the original. I had to restore my computer with a system restore disk, that's why I recently reinstalled cam-studio. I'm running all the same stuff - Windows xp sp2.

Comments

• jmw,

The CamStudio Lossless Codec is intended (only) for recording software tutorials and slide show presentations. The default you used back when is still there - Microsoft Video 1 - but compared to modern codecs for high-motion recording like games, it is rather poor. Use Lagarith Lossless or Xvid. Xvid gives the fastest actual capture rates. Read nearby posts for the best settings for sync (or watch the videos in the How To video playlist - the link is in a post up near the top here). Capture Frames Every times Playback Rate should always equal 1000. "Use MCI to Record" should be checked in the audio panel under "Audio options for microphone". Record from speakers doesn't work in most newer machines - use Stereo Mix and Record from Microphone instead.

Those are the tough regions. Have fun and welcome back!

Terry
  • Thank you, Terry. I went all default a couple of years back and this time as well. It appears the default codec is Microsoft video 1, so I actually didn't use the lossless1.4. The default capture frames rate is maximum (5x200), I didn't mess with that either. However, I have now moved the quality from default (70) to max (100) and I switched to the lossless 1.4 codec and things seem ok. I don't find a Xvid codec but would like to know where it is, if it truly improves the frame capture and playback. I'm recording a small window, about 460x330.
  • jmw,

Try either the "stock" version at http://xvid.org OR Jawor's fancied-up version at http://jawormat.republika.pl/xvid.html . It is best for 1280X720 and quite a few other sizes.

Terry