This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

CamStudio not working with VLC Player, help!

edited August 2011 in Support
I was first using Windows Media Player for playing back my CamStudio recordings but if I recorded more than a second of something and tried to play it in WMP it wouldn't play. I ask all over the Internet for help as to what the problem might be but no one ever got the answer I needed. Now I've downloaded VideoLAN and I can record and playback the videos but they come out all messed up. I've actually recorded what is happening and I'm going to post a link to YouTube to show you what is happening. And it also only records the last part of what I'm trying to record.. I started recording way before but when I went to watch the playback none of the earlier video was there.
[Removed Video.]

P.S. I'm recording with CamStudio for tutorials that I'm making and I upload them to YouTube. What is the best way to convert everything through VLC, does anyone know? Thanks!

Comments

• Can anyone help? =/
  • LalaLander,

VLC does not play CamStudio videos. They are aware of the problem being on their end and are trying to fix it.

Please inform me of your settings in video options.
    Compressor (and compressor settings)
    Set Keyframes Every...
    Capture Frames Every
    Playback Rate
    Region -- if fixed size, what size. if window, what size window, if just drawing a region, don't! Most MP4-style codecs require multiples of 2 for width and height.
    What version of CamStudio are you using? (including the release number, like r294)

Watch the videos and read the articles at http://screencasttutorial.org to get up to speed quickly.

Terry
  • edited June 2011
    Compressor: Microsoft Video 1
    Compressor Quality: 70
    Set Keyframes Every: 200 frames
    Capture Frames Every: 5 milliseconds
    Playback Rate: 200 frames/second
    Region: Full Screen. My Screen Resolution is 1600 x 900. I am running a Windows 7 64 bit.
    What version of CamStudio are you using?: Version 2.6, Release Number r294
  • Sorry, I just wanted to give you a little more information into the frustration I've been having with this program. Everyone says it's a great program, and from what I've seen, it is! But when I first downloaded it I was trying to playback my videos in Windows Media Player with no avail. I was using the Compressor Microsoft Video 1 at that time as well. Then, I tried downloading DivX and using that.. The DivX codec didn't show up on my Video Options list, so I just tossed that out.. Then I'm hearing about the CamStudio Lossless Codec.. And I downloaded that.. I downloaded the .zip file, the newest one.. And when I went to go install it said I needed camcodec.dll.. So I just gave up, not knowing what that was.
    All I'm trying to do is record small videos to upload to YouTube and everything I try just comes on not working.
    Thanks,
    LalaLander.
  • edited June 2011
    LalaLander,

Try these settings:

Compressor: Xvid - Profile setting: Xvid HD 720 http://xvid.org 32-bit version
    Compressor Quality: Use Xvid's own setting of 1
    Set Keyframes Every: 100 frames
    Capture Frames Every: 40 milliseconds
    Playback Rate: 25 frames/second
    Fixed Region: 1279X719 to overcome a bug being squashed that adds a pixel in Fixed Region - the resulting video will be 1280X720 - perfect for 720p HD at YouTube.
    "My Screen Resolution is 1600 x 900" - this could be lower, but you are capturing a region, so it is not as important. To capture more of the screen into your 1280X720 frame, lower the screen resolution to match.

In Audio, record from microphone, check "Use MCI to record". See "Stereo Mix" videos at my site for including program sound.

Let me know how it goes!

Terry
  • edited June 2011
    I was suppose to download this:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/software/download.php?sid=1052&ssid=0&did=1
    Right? Sorry I just want to make sure I am doing everything right.
  • It says that I can't use that compressor to do AVI files.
  • edited June 2011
    Is the compressor showing up in your video codec list in CamStudio?

Could it be that you have to download a 64-bit version of the codec?

I looked on the xvid.org website but couldn't see a specific link for a 64-bit version of the codec, but I think Koepi's version will work:

http://www.koepi.info/

If that doesn't then try this:

http://www.overdrivetechgrp.com/Support/Files/tabid/58/Default.aspx

It's not the absolute latest version, but pretty close.

NOTE: I don't have 64-bit Windows, so I haven't tested this install so it's an unknown quantity, and your choice.

• edited June 2011
    LalaLander,

See here for the one I like:

http://screencasttutorial.org/53/jawors-xvid-my-newest-codec-of-choice-for-games-webinars-or-tutorials-453

I use this every single day practically to record webinars.

The 32-bit version is what you need for CamStudio, as it is an 32-bit program and cannot access 64-bit codecs. The 64-bit ones are only useful right now for 64-bit media players, unless there are some new recorders or editors out there now I haven't heard of.

Like I say, I use this every single day with the above settings or with a lower playback rate for long webinar recordings.

My "lower" settings:
    Compressor: Xvid - Profile setting: Xvid HD 720 http://xvid.org 32-bit version
    Compressor Quality: Use Xvid's own setting of 1
    Set Keyframes Every: 100 frames
    Capture Frames Every: 100 milliseconds
    Playback Rate: 10 frames/second
    Fixed Region: 1279X719 to overcome a bug in some versions (being squashed) that adds a pixel in Fixed Region - the resulting video will be 1280X720 - perfect for 720p HD at YouTube. [Edit] This bug does not appear in each version in all operating systems, and will be a non-problem soon.

"My Screen Resolution is 1600 x 900" - this could be lower, but you are capturing a region, so it is not as important. To capture more of the screen into your 1280X720 frame, lower the screen resolution to match.

In Audio, record from microphone, check "Use MCI to record". See "Stereo Mix" videos at my site for including program sound.

Terry
  • @nickthegeek- Yes, Xvid is showing up in my compressors list. It's just that every time I try to record using the fixed region of 1279x719 it won't record it says:
    "CamStudio could not record the AVI file using the current compressor. Use default compressor?"
    I am using the Xvid MPEG-4 codec for my compressor and I then configure it and I'm using Xvid HD 720.
  • @tbritton- I've done that and I read your site.. I have the correct Xvid and I've tried recording with all your settings and I get the message:
    "CamStudio could not record the AVI file using the current compressor. Use default compressor?"
  • @nickthegeek and @tbritton- I've messed around with my compressors and I'm currently using the compressor cinepax codec by radius and it's in a fixed region and it seems to be recording smoothly.
  • edited June 2011
    LalaLander,

I'm sorry - that bug doesn't appear in every version (or in every version even in every operating system) - I've changed the text above to indicate that.

If you get "CamStudio could not record the AVI file using the current compressor. Use default compressor?" from the 1279X719 setting, you clearly do not have this bug affecting you, so use 1280X720 instead. That message comes up when the region is NOT a multiple of 2 as Xvid and many other MP4 codecs require.

Just use 1280X720 straight and it should work. You clearly did not require the compensation measure. (You still might if you use Sizer to record pre-sized windows, though...)

Terry
  • Oh! :] Alright, thank you!
  • @tbritton- My CamStudio has stopped working again.. I can't seem to find the Xvid HD 720 but I cannot find it on the Xvid.org site. Can you give me the exact link to download Xvid? Thank you!
  • edited July 2011
    removed by author - see Terry's post below
  • LalaLander,

My article is here on that codec:
    http://screencasttutorial.org/53/jawors-xvid-my-newest-codec-of-choice-for-games-webinars-or-tutorials-453

Sorry that it is a little confusing as to which of those many links is the one I meant for you to use.

The explicit link is this one:
    http://jawormat.republika.pl/xvid.html

The 32-bit version is what you need for CamStudio, as it is an 32-bit program.

Terry
  • @tbritton - Every time I use Xvid codec and do the settings to exactly as you told me I get this Xvid thing that pops up while I'm recording.. It's like a white medium sized screen, do you know why?
  • Maybe this is it: under Video Options>Configure>Other Options (button at bottom of page)>uncheck Display encoding status
  • booklover,

Yes, that's it alright!

Terry
  • Alright, thank you both. :D