This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

AVI files aren't working - Error C00D11B1

TULTUL
edited June 2011 in Support
So...I'm one of those Speed Paint artists you find on DA, and CamStudio is my program of choice...however, recently my recordings can't be read - not in Sony Vegas, Windows Media Player, Windows Movie Maker - nothing.
I've done a quick Google search on the problem, and it told me to try downloading some security updates, but it still doesn't work. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting the computer, etc. but it's still not working. I just find it kind of odd since CamStudio was working just fine for me until recently...

Comments

• TUL,

Odd, since it worked before. What codec are you using? (I've been pushing Xvid lately, and Lagarith Lossless...)

Terry
  • TUL,

Also, have you tried running them through a converter or VirtualDub yet?
    People have had good luck with Freemake Video Converter and Any Video Converter both.

Terry
  • TULTUL
    edited June 2011
    tbritton,

I'm pretty sure I have Xvid codec, and I don't think the codec is the problem as I can play other AVI files with no problem - it's just the ones coming from CamStudio.
    I'll try running them through a converter to see if that works.

-EDIT- Just ran it through Any Video Converter and the file plays! It's a bit of a pain that I'll have to run it through the converter all the time, but at least it works!
    Thank you!
  • edited June 2011
    TUL,

Cool - I just wish we knew why you were running into trouble in the first place!

It may be something to do with Camstudio using AVI 1 format, where now there is an AVI 2 spec. Perhaps some programs think they are getting 2 when they see the AVI extension.

Terry
  • TULTUL
    edited June 2011
    tbritton,

I hate to say it, but whatever it is, it's not working again. -.- It worked on a small AVI file of less than five seconds, but when I tried to convert a longer file, it converted fine, but nothing will read it.
    If this has anything to do with anything, Any Video Converter read it as a CRAM file.
  • TUL,

Are you trying to open the temp files? Or is this CRAM file being produced as the final by Camstudio? Where are your files being saved to?
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileextensions/f/cramfile.htm

Again, this may have been a mis-read by Any Video Converter. Have you tried Freemake Video Converter also?

Puzzling - I've asked the developers about this one... (that's two tonight!)

Terry
  • This is almost certainly the CRAM that's being talked about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-CRAM

Basically just a really really old microsoft codec that can show up in Cam Studio as Microsoft Video 1. I would suggest using a different compressor from the Options -> Video Options menu. If you are already using a different compressor, let us know which one the above menu says you are using.
  • tbritton,

I am opening them from My Documents, where I have it set all my recordings to go. My Documents calls them AVIs still, although they won't play. I'll have to look up Freemake Video Converter to see if that works.

BleeBlap,

What compressor do you suggest? It does say I'm using Microsoft Video 1, and when I switched it to the DivX compressor(figured it would be good if the compressor matched the codec), it refused to run at all, saying there was an error creating the AVI file.
  • edited July 2011
    TUL,

When you say, "where I have it set all my recordings to go." that suggests to me you may be talking about temp files - the setting in Options|Program Options called "Directory for Recording" specifies where to place the temp files CamStudio creates during the recording process (.avi and .wav files). When you hit Stop, it then compiles these and completes them, and asks you where you want to save the file if you have Options|Program Options|Name of AVI File set to "Ask for Filename" - otherwise it saves always to the program directory using the date and time as the filename. Just mentioning that to clear things up in case there is confusion in that regard.

I just about always suggest using either Lagarith Lossless OR Xvid now, and both will give you an error if you do not have your height and width dimensions BOTH equal to multiples of 2. DivX, I believe, requires one of those to be a multiple of 4, in fact.

MS Video 1 will work with odd dimensions, but YouTube will skew the videos. Same with CamStudio Lossless.

I'm sorry if all this confusion is causing you troubles. In a future version, we have been discussing making Xvid become the default codec, for it has been producing the fastest frame rates of capture as well as some of the smallest file sizes. Its error message would thus contain some wording along the lines of the dimensions needing to be even-numbered.
  • edited July 2011
    Finally, the total, compiled file size is not supposed to exceed 2 gigabytes or it might not compile and will throw an error. In actuality, the final can become somewhat larger when the audio and video are combined, but the temp .avi file absolutely must not exceed that 2 GB size limit. See http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/658/req-recommended-settings-for-recording-for-90-min. for a lengthy discussion concerning file sizes between myself and Mike Wallace. The final concluding discovery was that Xvid produced the smallest file sizes with the highest input frame rates (thanks to tests performed by ColdReactive when he researched the effects of changing the priority settings: http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/comment/2681#Comment_2681 ).

Terry
  • Previously, there has been issues with CamStudio-generated AVIs not being able to be imported into various video editing software (Adobe Premiere, Pinnacle, etc.) due to a corrupted header, but I haven't seen that for some time, so not sure if that particular bug has been fixed.

I can't remember an instance where an AVI was being read fine and then wasn't ... weird.
  • tbritton,
    Wow...all that information is a bit overwhelming...heheh.
    My comment about where I save my files did seem a bit misleading, and I apologise for that. I meant that I have it set up to immediately take me to My Documents, and then I name the file to what I want it to be and save it.
    As for the dimensions, what do you suggest for using DivX? I understand that it needs to be a multiple of 4, but what would be the best size to work with and be able to watch? I rarely record for more than half an hour at a time(just in case something comes up and I end up having to hard reset everything or something), so I'm not sure if the 2 GB limit really effects anything for me - especially since I don't record sound.
    I am also running the recordings through Freemake as I write.
  • Ran the files through Freemake - they work in Media Player but Movie Maker still calls them empty files.
  • TUL,

1280X720 is the standard for regular HD videos uploaded to YouTube.
    856X480 is another standard you often see for 480p widescreen.

That is odd that Movie Maker sees them as empty! Did you convert them to WMV?

The free Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 SP1 should conquer all issues. It is a bit confusing to use, but set as many things as you can to "Source" and output to WMV and see if that makes Windows Movie Maker able to see it.
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24601

I'm totally surprised that Freemake didn't make things work, though (at least if you output WMV format...)

Terry
  • tbritton,

Ohh...I was supposed to put it in WMV? I had been putting them as AVI again...

Ran them in Freemake again; this time in WMV. Quality took a small hit, but not as bad as I thought it would. Windows Movie Maker is fine with the files in WMV format, and I'm actually watching the finished product now.

Hopefully that's the end of all this annoyance...thank you very much for helping me!
  • TUL,

I'm really glad to hear this! Happy editing!

Terry