This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Problems with Lossless 1.4 not showing up

edited June 2011 in Support
I'm still using CamSt. 2.0. If I load 2.6, application crashes. So lets stick with 2.0, which works for me well. Had a older Acer laptop, loaded and used CamSt 2.0, then loaded lossless via exe package, great. Small file sizes perfect. Then a friend gives me a awesome intel dual core laptop, I repaired the screen, did total rebuild with XP SP3. Loaded CamSt 2.0 sound was perfect, unlike my old Acer. Then loaded lossless 1.4 with exe, get the not MS software message, continue, but not lossless listed as a video option. Checked location of files, check, Checked register entries, check. all seems well. Uninstalled reinstalled in every possible combination. Nothing, loaded Instacodes and XP codecs pack none of them show up. Ran codec detective, I see all the other codecs, but not Lossless. Any suggestions Thanks. ALso tried on three other XP SP3 computer NOT one had an issue lossless always showed up.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    headjava,

This is crazy! I also have a laptop that refused to show the lossless codec - until I removed it, installed CamStudio 2.6 (with the 1.5 lossless codec), THEN installed 1.4 via the .exe file. It suddenly appeared! I do not know why. This is totally crazy behavior that might be linked to a Windows Update, because Nick cannot remember it happening in the past.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/files/legacy/

Try the .inf version also, perhaps. install from the right-click menu.

Terry

• Thanks but 2.6 will not run on this laptop. Install then run recorder and crashes with error settings not correct. What Settings ? So I tried to load 2.6b with 2.0 still loaded. 2.6 crashes. Loaded Lossless 1.4 then uninstalled 2.6b, still no lossless. Tried it on another system XP SP3 with v 2.0 and 1.4 perfect. Any other suggestions ? Thanks
  • Okay let me start over as this was a new build. Reformatted and install a fresh copy of XP SP1, then did SP3 upgrade from CD not the Internet. Installed CamSt 2.0, then Lossless 1.4 nothing. Only the four codecs supplied by CamS present. Then installed it on two more laptops here @ work and no problems. Well the heck is going on ?
  • edited July 2011
    headjava,

Interesting - I had no suspicion until now how connected to hardware drivers codecs might be. That is the only possible answer - a driver (likely a video driver) or chip set issue. Otherwise, how else could there be a machine-dependent failure for codecs?

I'll ask the developers to take a look at this thread. Of course, motherboard-dependent or driver dependent issues are just the sort of nightmares programmers wake up from screaming and in a cold sweat! The reason that is has to do with the fact that one just cannot know every strange nuance of design that those engineers out there will come up with!

Terry
  • As a developer myself I do understand. However, I develop business solutions based on web technologies, therefore issues of chipset is never an issue. As a matter of fact, I was trying to use CamStudio to record demos of one of my bigger products (just getting to market this summer) lotsoftx.com. I will keep checking for lossless updates. I going to try Divx or MSC lossless codecs (files sizes are the issue for youtube). THanks.
  • headjava,

I do think DivX is a bargain at 20 bucks for the encoder (pro version of DivX) - they are having a half-off sale today: http://www.divx.com/en/software

Terry