This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Can you help me get higher quality with lower file size?

edited July 2011 in Support
Hi all,

So here is what I am recording, I am watching lots and lots of slides(imagine constantly zooming in and out of price charts, scrolling along looking at all the data points with a mouse moving around the screen, things being written and lines being drawn), not moving people or anything, just presentations. But I do need whatever slides that are up to be clear and not fuzy. There is also audio, which doesn't need to be above clear radio style. I will list what I have come up with below, and maybe one of you will have much better settings that you would like to share with me......

Audio Recording: 2 Channel, 16bit, 16,000Hz
Codec: Xvid MPEG-4
Codec settings: Xvid HD720, Quality 8
CamStudio settings: Set Key Frames(30), Capture Frames Every(5), Playback Rate(200)

A one minute full screen video is coming out as 15mb. I am trying to get this down to 1.5mb
My biggest issue is that when I try to get down to less size I keep getting a screen that is too fuzzy. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Set Key Frames(100), Capture Frames Every(50), Playback Rate(20)
    or
    Set Key Frames(100), Capture Frames Every(100), Playback Rate(10)
    I record almost all of my training vids with the second setting.

Terry
  • edited July 2011
    The sizes are coming out at 12.5mb now. I can't figure out what those guys are doing different. There has to be something I am missing. The audio on lowest quality eats up 2mb per minute alone, my quality(which is poor) eats up 3.5mb per minute. Even when I drop my quality to 31 I only get a reduction of 1mb per minute, and the quality us horrid. Maybe I am just not smart enough lol.

Audio Recording: 2 Channel, 16bit, 16,000Hz
    Codec: Xvid MPEG-4
    Codec settings: Xvid HD720, Quality 8
    CamStudio settings: Set Key Frames(100), Capture Frames Every(100), Playback Rate(10)

30min video over 360mb
  • HelpfulAgent,

Try using MS ADPCM for stereo sound or GSM for mono - they both do very well at compressing the audio while keeping the sync intact.

You have all the other settings at good ones, though I would never settle for quality of 8 in Xvid - that must look awful! (Well, by my standards!)

I believe probably most of your file size issues have to do with the audio, so try those two compressors and let me know how it goes.

Terry