This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Single core ?

edited August 2011 in Support
I was just wondering, but does cam studio only use a single core? because i am using an intel i5 processor with a gigabyte gtx560ti super overclock and when running games that dont max out my graphics and only support two of my 4 cores i can record at a max of 10fps using xvid in game. So am i using the wrong codec? ,may this be a problem with the software? or does the program only support one core?

Thanks

Comments

• edited August 2011
    It might be the "Capture Frames Every..." and "Playback rate" settings you are using are just not pushing the system very hard. Try CFE of 20 and a PBR of 50, or more conservatively, a CFE of 25 and a PBR of 40. But, I can assure you that it was never written to optimize for multi-core systems, to my knowledge.

Of course, if the game is totally maxing out your processors, or you are trying to capture full-screen at very high resolutions, your recording speed will suffer a bit. Are you getting this from the "Actual Input Rate" figures in the recording window?

Terry
  • Yes i am getting it from the actual input rate and when viewing the video it isn't smooth. Yes i am recording full screen at 1680x1050 but even then my CPU usage doesn't go above 50% and the recording still isn't smooth and flickers every now and again.

Ill post back when i have changed the settings you said and update you

Thanks for your reply
  • Actually i am recording at 720p according to xvid but what you said did help (even though i went a bit mad with it :) ) CFE = 5 and PBR = 200 and i get 30fps in just windows and about 20fps in-game . I am now going to see if i can get a higher fps because i have now set affinity so the game is using two cores and so is cam studio. so i am about to use CFE = 2.5 and PBR =400 .
  • edited August 2011
    Sad face ,it cant go higher than PBR= 200
  • aljowen,

If you cannot get smooth video out of a CFE of 5 and a PBR of 200, you are a tough customer to please!

How did you force CamStudio to use two cores?

Terry
  • edited August 2011
    by going into task manager and setting its affinity to using two of the cores im not sure if it used boath of them to their full capacity (infact im certain it didnt much) i think the rason it helped is it wasnt using the same core as windows and the half the game

You can see what the output looks like here: and towards the end of the vid you see how much performance i am getting out of my pc
  • So anymore tips as to how i can squeeze out a better video fps
  • aljowen,

In coldReactive's video comparing high-priority with normal priority, he revealed interesting performance comparisons among several codecs:

This was the push that made me check out Xvid, as it demonstrated the best fps for capture speeds.

Also, the hard to find (but in old copies of FFDShow, which you can use with CamStudio 2.0 - search on this forum for the codec name) MS-MPEG4 gave stellar results for coldReactive. He has a post here on that.

http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/comment/2686#Comment_2686

Let me know of anything you find and I'll add it to the "Optimize Settings for CamStudio" article and video description.

Terry
  • Thanks, i am using xvid currently and at max i can record at 35fps on windows.
    I have noticed that when using xvid camstudio's compressor and framerates windows in the settings area are completely thrown out the window and don't do anything. Do you know of any vids that can show you how to set up xvid to record at the best it can because i don't know what half the options mean :p
  • aljowen,

What??? This is a new one on me! No, I think you are mistaken about that one.

Under Video Options, in the Framerates box, "Capture Frames Every" should be set so that it TIMES the "Playback Rate" you choose sum to 1000. So, the following will keep audio/video sync constant:

100/10
    50/20
    40/25
    25/40
    20/50
    10/100

These very visibly alter the Xvid capture rate (just try 100/10 and you'll see!)

They also affect the length of video you can capture before hitting the 2GB filesize ceiling (along with your height and width in pixels, of course).

The "Set Key Frames Every" affects how often you force CamStudio to capture a COMPLETE frame, rather than make a record of only the parts that have changed since the last one. This is useful when large portions of your video screen do not move (are static) to save space. With SKFE/CFE/PBR settings of 100/100/10, I can capture a three-hour webinar presentation (maybe longer) using Xvid.

I would simply stick with the 720HD profile/preset if I were you! But there is help at the doom9.org forum http://doom9.org/forum - those folks are extremely knowledgeable.

Jawor's Xvid has a good preset profile for that 720HD setup, and is the one I use most. That does NOT mean your screen capture SIZE dimensions have to be 1280X720, but that profile is optimized for that size.

Terry
  • Oh ok terry, i just did another test and i found that the quality box in cam studio doesn't do anything.
    And also i was being a derp, i just ticked auto adjust thinking that my entered settings where irrelevant, turns out at the slider at max fps chose the same settings as me hence why i thought it didn't do anything
  • aljowen,

The quality box affects only a few codecs, like Microsoft video one, I believe. Other codecs have their own quality settings accessed from the 'configure' button.

Yes, that auto-adjust slider got me at first, too!

Terry