This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Help with the settings

edited August 2011 in Support
Hello guys! Admins feel free to place this place where is more adequate

Unfortunately I dont have time to try several configurations this is why i ask u and try to use ur experience
I have seen all the youtubes videos for newbies :) REALLY THANKS !!! they are pretty cool.
But I still dont know how to record this, with a good encoder in a small file size.

I need to record, a video conference propobably PPT presentation and web cam so i think it will FULL SCREEN RECORDING.
It will last about 90 mins but discussions and questions will probably last 120 mins (I heard 2 hours is the max. time for avi files). If it last longer i dont mind splitting the files, as long as i dont lost any part of the conference.

I need to use all free software as i am using office's laptop. I think my only chance is Xvid, is there any other one? How about the settings i mean the Capture Frames, the Playback rate, quality etc.

One more question, I need to record audio from the speaker and my questions in the microphone; I am running Win XP is this possible (I know it can be done with Win7). Also good audio compresion is desirable.

Hope u can help me on this one.
Thanks in advance
Walker

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Walker,

First and foremost, does your laptop support the "Stereo Mix" feature? If not, you are fairly doomed.

I use Xvid at quality 1 and get up to 3 hours of video with a webinar or powerpoint, but you will get less if you include full-motion video from a webcam. You'd better perform a simulation recording to see how it goes. If you use a quality 2 or lower, up to 20, it is tolerable quality and buys you some time.

For webinar screen recordings, I use these settings:
    Set Keyframes Every = 100
    Capture Frames Every... = 100
    Playback Rate = 10

I do not compress the audio, as that usually causes sync problems. Use MCI to record should be checked.

If you can include your mic in the Playback volume controls, you can mix your mic into the Stereo Mix. This usually entails making the slider visible in the options, then un-muting it.

Terry
  • OK sorry Terry for my long term reply
    I kept reading
    http://screencasttutorial.org/18/best-settings-for-camstudio-to-sync-audio-and-video-28/3
    and I found similar settings.
    I try those setting in a webinar 95 minutes long... I got a file around 450MB

I wonder this... a movie normally 90 min or 120 is compressed to 600MB. I think there must be sth wrong cos in a movie we have motion full colors more sound; and in a webinar or a software demostration we only have a desktop view the motion of the mouse and the sound of my voice. How can i get such a big file? 450 MB is a lot
    Is there any wrong in wahta i am thinking
    What size are your files?

• Walker,

You are mistaken about 450MB being a lot - I go typically to 1.5GB for a two hour video. And that is a webinar recording. What quality setting did you use? You are getting really small file sizes!

You'll find that the audio portion is the real space grabber, but to keep sync working well, you've pretty much got to keep it in 16-bit at 44MHz. That gets up there quickly.

Terry
  • Terry I have to apologize for my very delayed answer. I have to travel to work abroad.
    Then the idea of recording was not well accepted in the office. Now it seems is gonna
    be done.

Well I honestly dont remember what were my settings i am really gonna try to remember my settings.

But dont understand how u get 1.5GB for a two hour video.
    This is what think:
    If a normal divx or xvid ripped movie is around 600MB and normally a movie is around 2 hours or 1 hour and a half. I am using Xvid in a very static video, cos it is only a few power point slides and just the voice of some guy explaining the slides.
    think of this a real cinema movie has a lot of motion and the codec has to work a lot to compress the movement of the different pixels.

I just dont get it. I will try the video settings at home and provide u some more details

Thanks in advance
    :)
    Walker
  • edited October 2011
    Walker, it will work if you apply Terry's recommended settings. Maybe you could practice it on your home machine using Terry's settings with a similar subject and other conditions. Terry and another member thoroughly tested using various settings, and it does work.

Jo
  • edited October 2011
    booklover yea i know it has been tested several times.
    I am gonna try at home Terry's settings with a similar subject

Thanks for being so patience
    Best regards
    Walker