This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Taskbar Broken from camstudio 2.6b

edited September 2011 in Support
I was using camstudio on my new win7 home premium laptop.
This bug did not happen the first time I used and installed the program, just this one time when camstudio stopped responding. I started recording video to avi in a designated region and after a few minutes I tried to stop it and the program including the flashing outline bars stopped responding.
I was able to end the main camstudio program but the flashing lights remained where it had been recording. I then had to go into processes and kill that and then explorer itself after it did not work. After this I restarted explorer.exe thru the task manager and saw that my taskbar panes were all messed up.

I've tried everything short of reinstalling windows. Now when I open a program it's bar on the taskbar is incredibly skinny. When I open a second program its bar gets stretched across the taskbar from the windows logo/start menu to the notification area.

Please look into this, it would be unfortunate if other people had to reinstall their whole system just to solve this strange bug.

Comments

• collegiate210,

This is a first on this bug. I cannot imagine what could have caused such a thing. What other programs were running at the same time? Had you set CamStudio to minimize to the "Tray"? I've heard of people having troubles due to the "flashing" portion remaining after a forced-quit was applied to the CamStudio program portion.

Anyway, a couple more details would be helpful here. What were your Program Options settings when this happened?

Terry
  • Sorry forgot I posted this up here.
    I had either google chrome or firefox up with several tabs open. I had the camstudio ui up so I could see how big the file was getting.
    Like I said I was using it in a defined box with the flashing green angles. It stopped working, I tried hitting stop on the camstudio ui but it kept going so i had to kill it thru task manager.

Recently I donwloaded debut video capture and it too caused issues with my taskbar. Debut didn't freeze or anything but after using it for the first or second time my Youtube Downloader icon became the windows default icon for missing/corrupt icon. Also my itunes icon, which I have pinned to the taskbar, opens and puts a second itunes icon on my taskbar instead of highlighting the pinned icon like it should in windows 7.

win7 doesn't like 3rd screen capture software i guess :(
  • I’ve been using CamStudio on my new Win7 machine for about ten days now, and have had no such problems, BUT it sounds to me like the configuration problems which arose after CS froze were probably a result of Task Manager mangling something in the registry while trying to shut down explorer, rather than the program itself. The easy cure for that is almost always a system restore rather than any kind of re-installation.