This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Recording the music or audio from laptop

edited March 2009 in General Discussion
I have a acer laptop and i want to do something which involves music from the laptop
but i don't know how too. I also want to record a video from youtube so i can watch it
when my internets offline so i need the recorder to record the audio from the video
Can you do a step to step thing aswell.

Comments

• please help me!
  • If you have a soundcard that supports the Record Audio From Speakers function in CamStudo 2.0, you might be able to do it.

From my limited research it seems that not all soundcards currently support this feature but it's something we're looking into.

It's taken us some time as the feature's original source code was never made available, so we're having to recreate it, but we're hopeful we'll figure it out and add it to a future version soon.

In the meantime, see if you can record all the playing audio by changing your input audio to Stereo Mix, Mono Mix or What-U-Hear (it's called different things by different soundcards)

In XP, double-click the speaker icon in the system tray and select Advanced > Properties > Recording

If there's a Stereo Mix, Mono Mix or What-U-Hear option in the list, tick the checkbox and then make it the active audio input by selecting the checkbox underneath the fader.

Remember to mute or physically remove the microphone from the PC before recording to minimize unwanted noise and feedback.

If you're using Vista, here's a tutorial I found explaining how you might be able to record audio from speakers on Vista:

http://torley.com/how-to-record-mic-and-speakers-on-vista-with-realtek

It's centered around RealTek sound cards but the idea should be able to be used with other soundcards.

Other than that, you'll need a third party program like Total Recorder or possibly Audcity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) to do it, but you'll need to find a step by step tutorial on those.

HTH

Cheers

Nick :o)
  • Hi, Emma. Easiest free way to get a complete vid from YouTube and many other sources is this:

www.keepvid.com

You input the url of the vid, hit Download, and then two short green "Download" links appear at the bottom of the page. Choose to save as flv or as .mp4. Right-click your mouse on "save link as" beside your Download choice, a window will appear with "video.mp4" or "video.flv" in the save bar, where you can then change the word "video"to a name of your choice for the vid in order to download it.

If you then want to work with the vid, you might have to convert the format to suit your editing software.
  • Recording audio from video: try another approach -- rip the audio out, instead of "recording from" the vid.

Here's what I do to rip the sound out of a YouTube video:

1 - I download my vid in www.keepvid.com and save-as .mp4
    2 - I then use FREE "Switch Sound File Converter" from NCH software to pull the sound track out. It can't pull a track out of .flv, it doesn't "see" it, but it sees .mp4, probably because it's a sound as well as a video format.

http://switch-sound-file-converter.software.informer.com/

3 - Using the green cross named "Add Files" in Switch Sound File Converter, browse your computer for the video you want to rip the sound from, ensuring that you change the "Files of type" field in the window from "Audio files" to "All files" so Switch Sound can find your video. Select your video, and it will pop into the "List of Files to Convert" in Switch Sound.
    4 - Depending on what program you will want to use to play with your sound afterwards, select the "Output format" at the bottom of the Switch Sound window. I select .wav if I need to pull the sound into Audacity; I select .wma if I need to add the sound track to a vid I'm editing in free MovieMaker that comes in Windows... and you can find it in the Programs file, if it hasn't loaded an icon for you.
    5 - Another trick to get the sound you hear playing while online is to open MovieMaker itself to directly record it. There's a little blue icon of a microphone in the lower lefthand corner, second from the end in MovieMaker. Click on that, and a sound-recording window opens up. Have your YouTube video open and waiting online that you want to record the sound from. In MovieMaker, don't put "Audio Input Source" on "Microphone" unless you want to record the noise in your own environment as well as the sound online. I put "Audio Input Source" on "Stereo Mix" and leave the "Default audio device" at "Crystal WDM Audio". That will record the sound from your video without getting your voice or room noise mixed into it. In order to catch all the sound track from the start, I hit "Start Narration" before I start up the video. Hit "Stop Narration" in MovieMaker if you've heard enough sound for your needs. At that point, MovieMaker asks you to name the sound file; it will show you a default name: "Untitled Narration.wma" -- you just change "Untitled Narration" part to whatever you want to name the track at the same time you save it to wherever you want on your desktop. At the same time, MovieMaker deposits a 'virtual copy' (it's not the real track) into the "Audio/Music" track under the "Video" track in the blue section at the bottom of MovieMaker. This virtual track "feeds" the sound into your MovieMaker workspace from wherever the file is on your computer. If you delete the file from your computer before your create your final movie, you destroy the track in your movie! Been there, done that!

Now, if you just want to use the sound file you've made using MovieMaker, close MovieMaker and look for the sound file on your desktop. It's .wma format, so you might have to use "Switch Sound Converter" to change the format to .wav, for example, to work with it in Audacity.

If you plan to use the sound in MovieMaker, leave it where it is. You can always trim it right in MovieMaker, and add it to your avi clips makes in Cam Studio. To trim a bit of sound in MovieMaker: position your cursor at the start of the audio track, grab the track and roll it from your left to your right a bit to "roll up" and "hide" any portion of sound at the start that you might not want, such as that blank bit from starting "Narration" before starting your video that you want to record from. Do the same thing in reverse if you want to trim the end, just grab the end and roll it from your right to your left a bit, to "roll up" and "hide" any portion that you don't want.

Now, you can use your extracted sound with anything you decide to film with Cam Studio.

Hope that helps. Have fun!
  • You can always use a download program like http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/... It allows you to download the original flv files.