This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Portable and Efficient codec for Screentcasting

edited July 2011 in Common Tips & Tricks
Greetings, dear community!

I need to make a screencast to share with a friend running a standard Windows XP SP3 without any custom codecs installed. What configuration of CamStudio you would suggest me to use for this task?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    AKazak,

It won't look great, but Microsoft Video One will work on any windows machine.
    Use the highest quality setting or near that - 80 perhaps.

I just learned that Xvid is natively supported on Win7, and since Xvid is my favorite right now, that is great news for an open-source project to have gained such wide acceptance. That may mean that Windows Media Player in XP will automatically download and install the Xvid codec when it encounters an Xvid video, but you should test that, perhaps.

Terry
  • Thank you, Terry.

I will try Xvid and post results.
  • I've installed Xvid 1.3.2 on virtual Windows XP machine (under Windows 7). Then I recorded a short movie using CamStudio 2.00 with Xvid codec configured as per various YouTube videos. Windows Media Player 11.0.5721.5145 posted error C00D10D1.

Any workaround?
  • I use CamStudio 2.6b R294 with xvid codec on my XP machine and Windows Media Player has no problem reading/playing the recording produced. Since most of what I do is screen captures and there's usually no sound (I can't remember when I switched from CS codec to xvid and whether there's been sound to capture since then), I can't say for sure on that issue. I'll try to capture some video from the web and see if there's a problem.

Jo
  • AKazak,

Also, if you are using the 64-bit version of Windows Media Player, you will need to have the 64-bit codec installed. However, I recently read that Xvid now had native support from Windows Media Player in Windows 7, so I'm not certain why you would have to install anything for playback.

Still, you said you needed XP compatibility, and so you should probably stick with Microsoft Video One, especially if the computer might not be online to download missing codecs. If you load your files into Windows Movie Maker and create WMV files, they will certainly be compatible on any version of Windows Media Player.

Terry
  • AKazak,

Another solution would be to use one of the video converters for making WMV files.

Microsoft makes their own free encoder, the Microsoft Expression Encoder:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24601

I have a short review listing several encoders you can try here:
    http://screencasttutorial.org/20/need-a-review-of-free-video-converters-and-encoders-576

Terry

• Thank you! Microsoft Expression Encoder was exactly that I was looking and that time.