This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Error Creating AVI File??

edited January 2012 in Announcements
I get this an "Error Creating AVI File" consistently from Camstudio 2.0 on a Windows Vista 64 bit PC. I've used it before on this same box with no problems.
:-((
I also downloaded v2.6. It will not run at all. The Camstudion Custom Build window comes up but when I click on the record button, with any Codec, I get "Camstudio could not record the AVI file using the current compressor. Use default compressor?". If I click yes, the same thing happens. Seems that picking Yes causes a loop. I am also seeing intermittant
"Camstudio Recorder Has Stopped Working" pop ups.
:-((

Ideas?

Ray

Comments

• Hi Ray

What video codec and recording dimensions are you using?

Cheers

Nick :o)
  • Sticking with version 2.0, I have tried all of the codecs with no success. I also tried capturing a very small area with no success. I am bewildered because I know this program worked at one time. Is there a link to the 2.0 download? Maybe I will try to re-insstall.
  • I have uninstalled 2.0 and re-installed it. Same issues...
  • It doesn't look like Camstudio has any log files. Too bad.
  • I don't think that 2.0 runs correctly on 64-bit Windows as it was written about 10 years ago.

2.6beta should run fine natively as there are plenty of people on the forum (including Terry, the CamStudio Oracle) who uses it on 64-bit.

For 2.6b, have you installed the 64-bit version of the Visual Studio 2010 Run time library? I think you need that.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13523

It's also possible that the 32-bit codecs aren't being detected properly.

I don't have a 64-bit Windows, but I've heard that 32-bit software running on 64-bit Windows may need 32-bit *and* 64-bit versions of codecs to run correctly.

I'll contact Terry to see if he's available to put together a rough-n-ready tutorial video for getting CamStudio to work on 64-bit Windows.

Cheers

Nick :)
  • I’m using 2.0 on my 64 bit Win7 machine, and it runs with absolutely no problem at all. We also have 2.0 running on our older 64 bit Vista computer - again with no problem, so I would have to believe that the problem lies elsewhere.

The question about the size of the recording area was never really answered. I know the issue has been raised before, but one wonders why, if the program is unable to record fields defined by odd numbers using most codecs, the selection area itself isn’t limited to even number increments. All screen sizes and video dimensions are even numbers, so why would CamStudio not disallow selection of odd number dimensions in any case? It would have saved a lot of explanation in Terry’s tutorials and even more text in the Q&As on these boards.

Ken
  • Hi Ken

I think the reason is you can record screen areas with odd numbers using Microsoft Video 1, which is the default codec.

We're working on a major update as I type and one of the new functions will be to add a checkbox to only record areas with even dimensions.

Please bear with us as this is all taking time, but will be worth it in the end ...

Cheers

Nick :)
  • You might not have the correct (required) runtime libraries installed.

Get them for 32-bit XP, Vista or 7 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5582

(This is the one you will need - the 2008 version - even if you have a 64-bit machine)

Terry