This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

4GB file

edited October 2012 in Support
hi i had a file from about 4 GB and i cant open it this file is realy importand its a .avi directly from camstudio but i cant convertor cant play the file this file is realy realy important so i hope u can help me

Comments

• edited October 2012
    CamStudio cannot process files over 2GB due to the AVI-1 specification placing that limitation on us. A future version of CamStudio will use the AVI-2 spec, but unfortunately, we don't live in the future -- yet. That file of yours is probably unrecoverable, I am sorry to report. See the video on my playlist on using VirtualDub to try to save it, but I doubt it will work on a file twice the allowable size.

Terry
  • I hate it that u dont get a f@cking warnig zhere stands that the max file is 2 GB or that is stops automatacly god dammid this was a realy importand file

Srr for the bad english
  • And thx for the help...
  • Believe me, I hate that limitation too. Someday we'll have the resources to re-write the entire code base and solve this problem forever.

We really do need a warning that is very obvious somewhere. Thanks for bringing that up again. I'll put it in the description boxes for my videos, and perhaps make a sticky forum post that states that limit and any other limitations we've found.

Terry
  • itsmeagain,

I've posted a sticky post announcing the two most serious limitations of CamStudio, and invited solutions be posted there.

http://camstudio.org/forum/discussion/1126/please-read-2-limitations-of-camstudio-max-file-size2gb-and-full-motion-recordings

Thanks for the inspiration to get that up there! And sorry you lost that file.

Terry