This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Camstudio version 2.6b release 294

Comments

• Hi Terry,
    Yesterday, I downloaded the legacy version "Camstudio2-0.exe" and it installed perfectly. It does everything I need at the moment - capturing full screen powerpoint slideshows with audio.
    I'll give builds r264 and r273 a try in the next few days and report back.
    Cheers, KingT
  • Thanks, KingT.

I just wish I knew what was going on with r294 all of a sudden!

Terry
  • Hi Terry,
    I've tried builds r264 and r273 but get the same error as before when starting Recorder. However, I've discovered that Player works for all builds (PlayerPlus and SWF-Producer give me the same error).

Not sure what's happening with V2.6b. I've reinstalled V2.0 and will happily continue to use it - it's a really great program.

Good luck, KingT.
  • I'm having similar problems to KingT and SChaudhuri48. I receive a popup error box when I select to launch the app at the end of the install ......

---------------------------
    Setup

Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files (x86)\CamStudio 2.6b\Recorder.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 14001. The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

OK
  • I'm on Windows 7 Home (64). I'm installing CamStudio_Setup_v2.6b_r294_(build_24Oct2010).exe, and have installed vcredist_x86.exe. I ran the install as administrator, which makes no difference to the outcome. I have also tried running from the desktop icon (as administrator) and get a shorter version of the error popup ...

C:\Program Files (x86)\CamStudio 2.6b\Recorder.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

Please let me know what I can do to help resolve this issue. I have successfully used version 2.0 in the past, but not 'easily', I think since I bought a new laptop, with Win 7 (64) - previously I was on XP.

Many thanks
    Vicki
  • ... and I tried r264, which gave me the same error.

• Vicki,

This is odd to have started happening again, as the side-by-side issues were supposedly licked in re-writing the installer to properly register the .dll's in the new manner that Vista and Win7 anticipate. I use all three builds of 2.6 on my Win7 64-bit machine, but am running Pro, so I'm not certain how different my setup is from the Home edition.

I'll let Nick and the others know that this has been happening again. Thanks for letting us know - all of the folks who have reported this are contributing hugely!

Terry
  • If Vicki is using Win 7 64, she'll need the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64) version:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15336

Cheers

Nick :o)
  • CS R294 and all version before are 32 bits (X86) builds and the X86 vcredist are required. I doubt that 64 bits vcredist can be used.
  • Janhgm,

Yes, the 32 bit version would seem logical for a 32 bit program - and as you had mentioned via email, the 2008 version is the one the build was created with, though I have 2010 version installed in Win7 64-bit Pro and it seems to be working just fine.
    (actually, come to think of it, I likely have both 32-bit versions installed!)

Terry
  • Hi Terry

I had installed the 2010 version of the Microsoft C++ runtime files.

I've now installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64), as per Nick's instruction. I did not uninstall the 2010 version.

And I've tried installing camstudio again, and got the same error message.

I easily installed r294 on an old XP laptop (it ran first time) and did what I needed to do on that, but it would be nice to get it running on this machine, if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Vicki
  • edited June 2011
    vicki,

Ahhh - I see the problem immediately - you will need the 2008 Redistributable Package (x32) to run CamStudio, as it is a 32-bit program. I am pretty darn certain about that!

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5582

Terry
  • Thank you, Terry, but I'm getting a different error now. When I try to launch (from the install) I get a pop up error box ....

Unable to execut file:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\CamStudio 2.6b\Recorder.exe

CreateProcess failed; code 740.
    The requested operation requires elevation.

Should I uninstall any of the other packages I've installed?

Many thanks
    Vicki
  • edited June 2011
    Vicki,

"Elevation" means you must run as an administrator, usually. It must be trying to write to the config files in the program files folder (which is a good sign!).
    Right click the icon and run as administrator and let me know if that fixes the problem.
    Terry
  • Yippee!!! It's all go, Terry. Thank you all very much!
  • edited June 2011
    vicki,

We're all very glad we could help! :-)

Terry
  • i need help
    how i can make the video file size smaller? it makes bigger alot and alot. Any help?

1x1x1x1
  • the older version 2.0 makes the files smaller but i want the newer
  • Thanks for the suggestions; I could install the r294 version.
    It is a nice programme. Congratulaion to all the members for creating such a useful prog and particularly for making it public.
  • Here's my problem...
    I don't even know how to describe it... It's just awful. I thought this screen capture is good...but no matter what I do works like crap...
    Just take a look.
    Maybe someone can help me, cause otherwise I think I'm gonna give up on this.
  • It looks as if the capture area isn't a multiple of 2 or 4, depending on the codec used. Terry will probably be along later and can give you his expert advice. It will help him if you can post what your operating system is, what codec you were using, which version of CamStudio you were using (2.0 or 2.6 including the release number).
  • romiyo,

booklover nailed it - you must record videos with even-numbered values for both the width and the height to upload to YouTube now. When YouTube was primarily .flv, this wasn't an issue, but now that they are mp4 it is.

The easiest way to ensure you have the region the right size it to use the "fixed region" selection and enter values that work for the size video you are trying to capture. 856X480 is good for wide-screen 480p vids, while 1280X720 is good for HD.

You can fix this in VirtualDub using the crop command - just be certain to select a compressor again when you export the fixed version.

Terry
  • I think I haven't made myself understood...
    The recording that I uploaded on YouTube it's put there to show you how CamStudio captured my screen... As for the region, if I remember it well, it was 736x408... It was a live stream on Veetle of a baseball game I wanted to record for myself, and before engaging into recording the whole game, I made a test, and the result I uploaded on YouTube for everyone to see and help me figure it out....

So, maybe now you see my complain. The Video Options was MPEG - 4 Video Codec 2. And when it doesn't record like in the video shown on my previous post, it records in somewhat black and white. Meaning that except for red and green, all other colors are not there.

I could record the whole screen, but then again, I'll need a converter that will allow me to cut to a fixed region so that I'll be able to keep what really interests me, like a baseball game or something and not everything shown on my desktop.
  • romiyo,

The other problem with recording the whole screen is that it slows down your input frame rate, sometimes to very slow speeds. The smaller a region you capture, the faster your frame rate during capture.

Try a test using Fixed Region at 856X480 to get a standard used by YouTube. Perform an experiment and let me know how that goes. Turn on "Enable Autopan" under options to allow the region to follow your mouse cursor.

I also recommend using the Xvid codec at this time over all others. See this post:
    http://screencasttutorial.org/53/jawors-xvid-my-newest-codec-of-choice-for-games-webinars-or-tutorials-453

Also these videos will likely be helpful:
    http://screencasttutorial.org/38/how-to-use-camstudio-video-tutorials-available-at-youtube-417

Terry
  • I don't understand what that YouTube thing has to do with capturing what's shown on my desktop. With WM Capture is not like that at all. And the reason I wanna use CamStudio is that it doesn't require my CPU to go at 100 %...

As I said, let's say that I wanna record a live web stream from an internet site. Like sometimes there are live streams of baseball games on Veetle. How can I set CamStudio to record audio-video in sync and with all the right colors, and a normal capture of the screen...????

That's all I'm asking...
    As for the tutorial, it didn't helped at all. I have all the right codecs installed on my PC. I have CCCP ( Combined Community Codecs Pack ) , I have XviD, ffdshow, name it, I got it... And still, for instance, ffdshow doesn't show on my Video Options in CamStudio... Just sayin'!

And clear this for me... why all of you are mentioning YouTube? What's YouTube got to do with recording a live web stream from any other site? I don't get it...
  • romiyo,

I didn't read you correctly. I see that skewing from YouTube uploads once in a while. Must be something else. I've never seen this happen before.

I don't care what codecs you already have -- they clearly aren't working for your application. Frankly, I'd uninstall them and start over with far fewer installed. But none might work for Veetle (and they may have designed Veetle that way).

Did you try Jawor's Xvid like I mentioned? Did you try recording at the sizes I suggested in Fixed Region? Did you try setting the "capture frames every" setting and the "Playback rate" setting so that when multiplied together they summed to 1000? Did you try setting "Use MCI to record" in Audio Options for Microphone? You could try those things and tell me what your settings actually are.

Or, do as you suggested in the beginning. CamStudio isn't everything to all people, and it may not work at all for streams being captured from Veetle.

Terry
  • Audio Options are set for Microphone.
    As for Video Options, they're just as given in the tutorial.
    Still...same issues. It doesn't matter what web site I use CamStudio to screen capture. Whether is Veetle, MLB.com, NFL Network, UStream, whatever... Even that damn YouTube piece of crap , the results are still the same. And for YouTube I use an add-on on Mozilla that allows me to download every video at every resolution.

And the weird thing is , I don't have this problem with WM Capture. Only that WM Capture uses my CPU at max on HD resolution live web video streams like , let's say NFL Network HD ( I have a subscription at that ) and kind of pisses me off.

I will try some of those Jawor's Xvid stuffs, and if it doesn't work again, than I'll give up on this.

As for fixed region, I got no use for that. If on a website the stream is set at, let's say 724x408, I wanna set a region only for that size. Not 856x480 or whatever else... Cause if I set it at a fixed size that is bigger than the web stream, I'll have in the final captured video a bunch of other stuff that has no use for anyone.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I'll give it another try and see what comes after. I'll be back!
  • @tbritton,

You are a real miracle when it comes to get CS up and running. These mails always surprise me again and again when things do not work as suspected.
    You see here al kind of issues that never appears when you tried to test the system on your own.

Jan