This forum software has now been archived into static HTML page (i.e. it does not function as a working forum anymore, so you cannot login.)

In due course a new forum will be available to help support newer CamStudio versions.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

[Req] Recommended settings for recording for 90 min.

2»

Comments

• Having some problems here with the forum - to be continued...
  • edited April 2011
    VirtualDub settings that have worked so far:

Loaded video with lower-left-hand box checked that says, "Ask for extended options after this dialog". Selected the top item, "Re-derive keyframe flags". This may not be necessary if I do the next step anyway.

Video set to Full Processing, Compression CS Lossless, checked "Force Keyframes" and set that to 100.
  • edited April 2011
    Audio -- loaded .wav file from audio menu, "other from file". I was truly amazed to see it synced up so well! Used same compression as original (MS ADPCM) set to mono at same sample rate as original (11KHz or 22KHz).

I saved as AVI (F7) and the video worked in Media Player, AND the seek time was pretty darn fast for a 90-minute video! This resulting video was 2.9-GB in size.

Terry
  • Thanks Terry, your feedbacks are encouraging. I'll try and replicate your exact settings and will let you know. Thanks for your patience.

Mike
  • edited April 2011
    [some 90 minutes later]
    Ok. Like i said I used the suggested settings. CamStudio produced a 900+ mega file that was successfully saved without having to resort to VirtualDub. However ....... the resulting file kept flickering through and was unusable (the audio was ok).
    Mike
    NB
    The capture area was 90% of its time still, so no motion going on.
  • edited April 2011
    Mike,

Were you viewing it using VLC media player? They have an admitted bug that is keeping their player from being able to play videos made via the CS-Lossless Codecs without having flickering. All other players work fine.

I performed a 90-minute experiment using a 1280X720 pixel region with the Xvid MPEG-4 Codec. I used these settings configuring Xvid:

Profile: Xvid HD 720
    Click "More" button
    Profile Tab:
    Quantization Type=MPEG
    Adaptive Quantization=Off
    Enhanced Encoding=Unchecked
    Quarter Pixel=Unchecked
    B-VOP's=Checked
    Max Consecutive B-VOP's=2
    Quantizer Ratio=1.50
    Quantizer Offset=1.00

Level Tab - all defaults

Aspect Ratio - default

Encoding Type=Single Pass
    Click "More" button
    CBR tab:
    Reaction Delay Factor=16
    Average Period=100
    Smoother=100

Target Quantizer=4.00 / (Target bitrate becomes 977 automatically using this profile)
    Click "Calc" button
    Target Size=665600
    Subtitles=0

Container:
    Format=AVI-OpenDML
    Overhead=1350

Video=1 hr 30 min 15 frames per second
    Audio:
    Format=MP3-CBR
    Avg bitrate=32

AVI temp file came to 196MB
    WAV temp file came to 232MB
    FINAL combined file came to 428.5MB

This was with SKFE=100, CFE=100 and PBR=10
    Audio 22.0 KHz Mono, compressor LAME MP3 (from K-Lite Codec Pack Full or Mega) 22KHz 16-bit Mono
    Interleave Every=1000 frames

Display color depth at 16-bit
    "Troubleshooting" tab at "minus-3" -- "All directDraw disabled"

This was a low-motion presentation-recording (slides and browser window captures).

Terry
  • Mike,

BTW - I just changed up to using LAME to try it out - I think it is still introducing lags in the sync that MSADPCM did not introduce. Try it to see if that is true for you.

Terry
  • edited April 2011
    Terry, you're totally right!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was using VLC and didn't bother to check with WMP. But in WMP indeed it WORKS!!!!! Fluid scrolling, no pixellation, sound ok.
    So I'll just stick to these settings. Besides I don't like to install codec packs if I can't help it.

Thanks a lot man, you rock.
    Mike
  • edited April 2011
    Mike,

Cool - so some of this issue is solved, then!

You can install Xvid all by itself without using a codec pack. Here is a nice installer that's out there that includes some cool profiles:

http://jawormat.republika.pl/xvid.html

Terry
  • Thanks, I'll check it out! :)

Mike
  • Mike,

So far, every attempt at using MP3 or AC3 has resulted in bad sync issues. I'm testing Xvid with the MS ADPCM compression today. It may turn out that Xvid can compress well enough that using audio compression becomes less relevant, so that the standby for good sync - using MCI for recording - becomes allowable. (I'll test that, too.)

I wish I understood WHY the sync drifts with MP3 or AC3. More research!

Terry
  • Are you sure the MS ADPCM is "actually" used? Yesterday when I inspected the final avi file with MediaInfo I found out that the program had reverted to PCM
  • Mike,

Hmmm - that's weird - though ADPCM might be listed as PCM, perhaps? The file size is certainly smaller than PCM!

Terry
  • Mike,

I just did a 90-minute, 1280X720 pixel dimension test in 16-bit color with Xvid's HD 720 profile at quality setting of 1 (the highest quality setting) with "Use MCI to Record" checked for the audio, interlace every 100 frames.

This resulted in a 1.6GB final file size
    The temp .avi was 729MB
    The temp .wav was 930MB (so that's what full 16-bit, 44.1KHz PCM system audio sizes as - I've used the exact same content for each of my tests above)

Again - Xvid Q1, Use MCI to Record checked, 1280X720, 90-minutes. Wow!
    The picture was very, very good and the audio/video sync was perfect!

I'd say this was the best combination of settings so far, and required no jumping through hoops with VirtualDub, either.

Terry
  • Very, very good. You've done an amazing job! Kudos to you Terry ;)

Mike
  • edited April 2011
    Mike,

Well, I've been wanting to tackle this problem for quite a while, believe me! My happiness meter is showing a 10 here!

Further good news - 32 bit color seems to fare very well with Xvid. The files did not get large like I'd expected.

Terry
  • About the 32 bit color, now that's really good to know. I hated to be forced to switch to 16 every time.
  • Incredible! I just recorded a 2 hour 47 minute presentation using Xvid.

This was a 1280X720 pixel dimension test in 32-bit color with Xvid's HD 720 profile at quality setting of 1 (the highest quality setting) with
    "Use MCI to Record" checked for the audio,
    Interleave left unchecked.

Set Keyframes Every at 100
    Capture Frames Every set to 100,
    and Playback Rate to 10.

Admittedly, this was all slides and talk, but still - I'm impressed!

This resulted in a 1.973GB final file size... so 3 hours may be the limit we can achieve.
    The temp .avi was a mere 249.5MB
    The temp .wav was a pretty massive 1724MB (so that's what full 16-bit, 44.1KHz PCM system audio sizes up as when using MCI to record)

Again - Xvid HD720 profile at Q1, Use MCI to Record checked, 1280X720, 170-minutes.

Wow!

The picture was very, very good and the audio/video sync was perfect!